Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Issue with brass ejected from Kimber Stainless Target II

Fureio

My primary range gun is this awesome looking gun. I'm wondering if the dings i'm seeing on the spent brass is normal.

When I shoot my Glock 21, the brass doesn't have any dings. When I shoot WWB out of the Kimber, right around the middle of the brass, there is always a ding, sometimes there is an outright dent.

The one and only time I shot Tul Ammo Brass Maxx out of it - the recoil was way more violent than normal and the brass was way more dented than normal.

Is this normal? What can I do to fix this issue so brass isn't dented when ejected?

The brass is probably bouncing off the rear of the ejection port. If it were bouncing off the front of the port, you'd probably be complaining about brass in the face. ;)

There are plenty of possible reasons why you're getting dented brass. Recoil spring weight, ejector, extractor, magazine spring and or follower... even the hammer cocking profile on the firing pin stop (effects slide "velocity").

Do you have an unusually light or firm recoil spring? When was the last time you replaced it? What quality and how old are the magazines? Have you tried other magazines? How many rounds do you have through the gun? Will your extractor pass the basic extractor tests?

For now, I would very much like to see a close up photo of the tip of your ejector. What I'm looking for is the ejector profile. What I'd like to see is one of the more effective ejector profiles - which is a compound set of angles where the case head contact point is "bottom left". If you have an ejector as shown below, or a few other profiles that work well, then that can be ruled out and we can look at other things.

C

ejector3.jpg

ejector5.jpg

Word of caution here. Don't start filing on your gun.

You have an incomplete tidbit of info here. Your extractor may look very different, and there may be a good reason for it.

A lot of parts get ruined from being altered without proper understanding.

>Oops....ejector

Edited by wide45

Word of caution here. Don't start filing on your gun.

You have an incomplete tidbit of info here. Your extractor may look very different, and there may be a good reason for it.

A lot of parts get ruined from being altered without proper understanding.

All true true... and true. Not inteded as a direction to start filing, just a referrence point, which is why I'd like a photo or two of the guns ejector.

C

I've been collecting .45 brass for years, and from your description I think I've seen this "ding" in a lot of brass... which I assume is from a variety of guns. It reloads just fine... and if your gun is functioning fine, then what difference does it make? Enjoy the Kimber-- I enjoy mine!!!