Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another new darkside member

azgoose

Good morning - I'm another new member to the Darkside. I just picked up a used Open gun here in Phoenix from a private seller that did not truly know what he had. I'm still looking for some info as well, so if anyone can help, that would be great.

Backstory

The seller was introduced to IPSC from a friend from Asia that had moved out here. Said friend gets him into it and convinces to buy an Open gun. Friend moves away, seller loses interest, sells gun. The seller thought he had an off the shelf STI that had been modified. That is not the case, this was defintely a builder fit. He told me that it had been "worked" on by Accuracy Speaks, unfortunately I cannot confirm this as Marty recently passed away. Perhaps someone will recognize this gun and confirm for me.

The Good

Overall the gun shows a little wear in the finish, a few scratches here and there, but is in great shape. The fit and finish seem good to me with good lock up. The barrel looks almost brand new, link looks like it is in great shape as well. Internally it looks brand new. I also received 4 x 140mm mags with Dawson basepads, a Safariland 012 holster, 3 Safariland mag pouches, and a Safariland belt.

The Bad

There are a few problems with it, but nothing to cry about.

• Slide racker is missing
  • Grip safety does not work

Need help with

I could use some help identifying

• Compensator
  • Barrel
  • If it was built by Accuracy Speaks

I've not shot it in a match yet, but am really looking forward to trying it out. Took it to the range last week and it performed flawlessly. Gotta get used to a red dot on a pistol. Apparently it originally had a different mount and a C-More, the seller did not like the look and changed them out. bummer.

post-47295-0-66808700-1372953176_thumb.j

post-47295-0-73463000-1372953196_thumb.j

post-47295-0-16751900-1372953207_thumb.j

Grip safety is most likely pinned or disengaged which is common on most open guns.

Sorry I can help with who built it but she looks nice.

The comp looks like a standard bedell, egw or millenium configured comp. hard to tell because so many have made that comp style or similar.

I don't know anybody that does not deactivate the grip safety on open guns. The slide racker should be easy to replace. If you want to go back to a C-More just buy a C-More and mount and sell the mount and dot that is on the gun to recoup some of the cost. Soryy can't help on ID as there are alot of comps comfigured like yours. It is a nice looking gun and it runs.

Thanks for the info guys. You might not have been able to identify the comp, but it at least pointed me in the right direction. Looking at it closer, it looks like it could be a Bedell or EGW. I'm gonna send the pics to a couple of locals that knew Marty well and might be able to identify, if even based on choices in his past work.

And you are right, the gun runs. As I originally stated, internally it almost looks brand new. For now, I'm gonna fit a new slide racker and call it done. Ordered some new starline +p nickel brass (easier to spot for me compared to the sea of brass) from Midway and some Frontier 124gr CMJ's. It came with 800 handloads, about 200 of which were in a bag marked "match". Whomever the sellers friend was, they were meticulous in their loading, labeling, etc. Each bag clearly marked as to Powder type and weight, primer, bullet make and weights. Too bad most of the components are hard to come by (Montana Gold, n340 and n350, specific primers).

Thanks again for the info, appreciated very much.

That comp looks a lot like an EGW comp I had on one of my guns. Thrid one up from the bottom http://sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=776 (that one is a cone yours is a bull). It worked pretty good with an AA#7/N105 load and 125gr JHP. The slide racker is a fashion accessory, you can run it without out it till you find one that suits your fancy. All of my open guns as well as SS have the grip safety disabled. If it were a carry gun I would want it to work. Cheely Mount with a C-more and you are in business, put that Doctor on your shot gun.

Edited by CocoBolo

Thanks Ron. That picture brings me closer to being able to identify that comp. Either way, it feels like a 22LR with the recoil. Very little lifting.

That comp looks a lot like an EGW comp I had on one of my guns. Thrid one up from the bottom http://sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=776 (that one is a cone yours is a bull). It worked pretty good with an AA#7/N105 load and 125gr JHP. The slide racker is a fashion accessory, you can run it without out it till you find one that suits your fancy. All of my open guns as well as SS have the grip safety disabled. If it were a carry gun I would want it to work. Cheely Mount with a C-more and you are in business, put that Doctor on your shot gun.