Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Infamous Para mag fix.

dogtired

I was playing with some new Para P16-40 mags that I bought off this site and perhaps stumbled across a solution for the infamous Para Mag Extension problem.

The mag with the black base is the desirable one with the channels that run lower than the other. It holds 20 but I can only seem to get 19 in the shorter groove version. I usually have to run the Arrendondo gadget that extends up from the floor plate to keep the spring from binding in the short ones. This trial does not include that gadget.

photo40_zpsca166331.jpg

While walking past my work bench I notices a Follower from a broken M11 Zytel magazine. I think the spring is a stock mag spring. I thought, give that a try... The top pic is the original size, I tried it in the mag and was able to load 14, trimmed it down and it fits 19.

Parafollower_zpsfffb91ed.jpg

I think the leg length helps stack the spring so it does not bind. I will leave it like this till I get to test it. I may be able to shorten it a tad to get that extra one in but want to function test it before I do.

View from the top. It does not seem to need a filler but one could easily be epoxied on.

photo39_zpsc17c8bca.jpg

Interesting......are you trying to fix when the follower binds when transferring from the base pad to the mag body? I have 7 P16 mags with DP base pads. I trimmed the followers as DP instructed, some required more trimming than others to stop the bind. 5 of my mags hold 20 and the other 2 hold 21 rounds. I also stopped used Para mag springs and started using ISMI Para mag springs. I've been running this set up for 4 years with no binding or issues. I also found out that Arrenndondo Para followers work great with no trimming,I'm using one in a mag with great success.

Still let us know your results. With the front to back play you have with the new follower you might want to taper the two feet of the follower so the don't catch the spring while loading the mag.

The binding come when the cartridges fall below the mag grooves and wedge sideways. The the bullets fall out like a salt shaker. The mag with the longer grooves does not display this problem. The Arrendondo gadget extends fingers up to those grooves theoretically making it a continuous groove and avoiding the wedge. This follower is grooved on the sides so theoretically will ride on those mag grooves and not tilt. Not a perfect fit but worth a trial.

I managed to wedge one of these to display the problem. Of course it was with the new follower so I installed the Arrendondo base pad insert. This may of course blow my whole theory.

photo_zps80b86230.jpg