Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SPS Modified Gun

joaquino

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris, I have a friend who uses an SPS when competing at IPSC-Modified Div. here in the Philippines. His unit was orignally a .45 hi-cap, but he was able to acquire a .40 slide and AET ported barrel for the modified set-up. Not sure if his optics are of OKO brand. When he converted, it took a while before he was able to get the right load for his blaster. In our recent match last weekend, he encountered several incidents of failure to feed. We check his springs one the mag he used and found them too "soft", the follower can easily be jerked of its seating on the spring. Similar observations were made on his other magazines. I'm kinda dissapointed since he got those SPS magazines Dec 2003 for P4,500 here in Manila (USD 1.00 = P55 or so last year).

We'll be together in a level II match this Friday. I'll take a picture of his pistol and post it here. :)

9MX, I think your friend is using the slide-mounted Optima. ;) Good luck on your Subic match.

Chris, our local SPS dealer here also sports a team (Team PB) and the modified shooters mostly use the SPS guns. Aside from the regular complaint of the OKO battery cover popping off (old model OKO's) and/or troubles with the mounting, they seem to be doing well with the guns. As for the mags, I think they're only using SPS tubes and different brand internals.

Doc Eyecutter is also a member of this forum and a member of Team PB. Maybe you can PM him for your inquiries.

yep, my team mates are using the sps pistols in modified division. Mag tubes are sps, svi or sti with the beven grams' spring and followers setup or arredondo teflon follower and ismi springs setup. 18+1 rds with modified base pads.

they're also using the oko red dots. problem with the oko is it easily develops cracks at the bottom plate. we think it's caused by the ejecting brass hitting the underside of the scope and the blast from the barrel ports hitting the integral blast shield causing it to flex upwards. the cracks develop beneath the cap. the old style switches easily loses the battery cap. my team mates replaced the o-ring from a scuba air regulator which fixed that problem. i think the new one sided scope mounts from STI and Allchin will cure tha cracking problem of the oko.

hth B)

9MX, I think your friend is using the slide-mounted Optima. ;) Good luck on your Subic match.

mco,

thanks! wish you could be there to whip the S_I/SPS boys once more with your Armscor hi-cap (but equipped with STI parts :P )

I tested the blaster and it works perfect, so I'm going to take it. Finally I got the pics in, that's how it looks like. Just need to do some modification, like new trigger, the pre owner shorted it, adding a blast shield and a thumb rest…

1.jpg

5.jpg

Cheers

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

happy to see you again....with your new little baby ;)

....hope it works fine.

forget oko, juergen ( see pics above ) and me ( and many others ) uses cmore only. ( juergen on the pic above = 1.day shooting ec 04 has to fix his gun with a new parrot cause his old "booooms" away :wub: , he was lucky cause the guys from oko where at tabor :D ) for myself, after having lot of trouble this year ( using 2 okos ) - I build up with an cmore ( from georg ) ( like on my open ) and now......... :D:D:D

dvc

Andreas

www.ipsc4ever.de

Eye cutter

My new sps 40 cal gun is still in process and I just boght 3 sps mags from PB (gunshow). You mentioned that the max load is 18+1. Can you tell me where I can buy the teflon follower and base pad that will fit the ipsc box? Will the wolff spirng be okay?

thanks,

Hi Andreas,

Yes it runs perfect and I really enjoy it, the only thing I need to do is order a new trigger. The one which is inside is shortened and for me it's to short and I will ad a blast shield. Maybe I do the same trigger setup which I use on my limited blaster -16lbs main spring and extreme eng. ultra low mass hammer, sear and race diconnector.

Are going to the STI-Cup next year? Hope to meet you, Olav and George personally some time, properly we did but we didn't noticed

B)

And could post some more pics of your new blaster?

Cheers

Chris

Ok humor me, what's up with the hole in the side of the battery cover ??? BTW nice blaster ! , bet that short gun sure is snapy to shoot.

Rick

Hi Rick,

I asked the same question to the Guy how sold me the gun and the answer was very simple - it's just to put a little screw in so the gun lays a little bit higher and not on the mag. release button, very helpful on stages where you have to start with the gun laying on a table.

Cheers

Chris

it's just to put a little screw in so the gun lays a little bit higher and not on the mag. release button, very helpful on stages where you have to start with the gun  laying on a table.

Chris,

nice pics and nice gun.

Now, for the hole in the C-More: sorry to rain on your parade, but if you put a screw in there (and the gun still fits the box), you have to leave it there for the whole match, or, if you started without it, you're not entitled to put it on an remove it through the stages.

From IPSC rulebook (January 2004):

5.1.7 Competitors must use the same handgun and type of sights for all courses of fire in a match. <snip>

5.1.8 A competitor who substitutes or significantly modifies a handgun during a match without the prior approval of the Range Master will be subject to the provisions of Section 10.6.

Hi Luca,

no problem with the rain, I've an umbrella :rolleyes:

Yes I know the rules and that’s why I leave the screw in.

By the way it still fits in the box, you just have to make sure that it's no exceeding 45mm, so I trimmed the screw to max.

Cheers

Chris