Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Penalty for stepping outside fault lines if written in stage descripti

Per the rules, you can't use a Forbidden Action to control competitor movement, and I can't think of any real safety issues caused by cutting a corner.

The FA rule is overused, used badly, or just plain used wrongly so many ways--mostly to fix poor course design. I like the fact that someone courteously challenged the WSB and that it was fixed, per the rules. That is conscientious course design and setup right there.

Troy

Thanks Troy.

In case anyone is wondering....this is the stage that the OP brought up in its final version ("Get Taller").

WSB:

START POSITION: Handgun Loaded and holstered as per 8.1.1 and 8.1.2. Hands touching X’s

Upon start signal, engage targets from within the fault lines.

If at some point you feel that height will provide an advantage, feel free to grab the provided phone book to “Get Taller”

pre_1373471954__get_taller_-_ipsc_style.

Yellow walls are see through mesh to avoid RO trap. Red fault lines is rope to prevent running through gap between wall and berm. Red barrels were double stack barrels (made single to show target easily). Plate was visible through port only.

This stage turned out very well. And one of the few times that it actually went to the ground as designed (for the most part, upsidedown wall had to be angled to make it harder to break 180), though hiding the plate except through the port was challenging.

Were the off limits ropes low enough that the RO could go over them? That way they could stay up range of the shooter while they went between the walls on the left, and easily go over them again if the shooter decided to go back to the right.

Were the off limits ropes low enough that the RO could go over them? That way they could stay up range of the shooter while they went between the walls on the left, and easily go over them again if the shooter decided to go back to the right.

They weren't off limits ropes, but they were easy to get under if the RO wanted to. Most shooters ended in the port so the RO would go under when the ULSC command was given. I had one shooter that went to the port first, so I just stayed behind the mesh wall. I could easily see the shooter, no need to get any closer as I was at most 10' away. A bungee cord would have worked just as well if the RO wanted to stick real close to the shooter.

You can't penalize someone for stepping out of bounds, unless that person fires a shot while faulting -- at all match levels....

The Level 1 exemptions allow for specifying location from which targets may be engaged, but do not allow for prevention of cutting a corner, or limiting the movement of competitors while they are not shooting. Forbidden actions can also not be implemented to limit competitor movement....

Not true

I had a forbidden action called last year trying to run around the fault line. After 10 or so min of deliberation they said "safety issue - forbidden action"

Yeah, the deliberation was to determine whether what you did was a safety issue. You shouldn't have been penalized, but required to reshoot the COF and the WSB changed to reflect the newly-discovered forbidden action.

You can't call forbidden action on anything, unless someone does it in a match first.