Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillob 550B ?'s

That would be similar to asking for a 4-wheel drive De Ville Cadillac. The 550 will load more calibers than the other 3 that Dillon makes, and is the only manual indexing press they make. If you want auto-indexing, get one of the other 3. If you want a machine that loads nearly every caliber under the sun except the 50 BMG, get the 550B.

All the Dillons have their drawback/limitations, but each is different for different needs. You pays your money and you gets what you pays for! At least they added a case feed for the 550B, something I never thought I'd see when I got mine in 1985! :bow:

Alan~^~

Keep thinking outside the box. We get our best ideas here that way. At least for those of us that can think in the first place. :surprise:

Edited by Youngeyes

• 3 weeks later...

The 550 case feeder doesn't fee rifle brass.............well not from the factory, it doesn't. I fixed that little problem. Now I can run 30-06 in the 550 without taking it apart to remove the case feed assembly. I still need to get the large rifle plate for the colator. It would be neat to be able to make the 550 auto index, but I haven't put any thought into it.

I bought the 550 used and without a casefeeder. I got such a great deal on it and the 15 toolheads to go with it, that I can't justify going to a 650. I did move 9mm over to a dedicated 1050 and mr. bullet feeder. I should really use the 1050 for 223 also, but it is 200 bucks just for an empty tool head. I can't blame people for trying to make do with some mods to what they have. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I have read that Dillon came up with his presses because he was trying to improve what was currently on the market.

For me, it was worth the small cost to make the 550 run rifle brass.