Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon dies rust easily

It's in my shop. 30x24 building, concrete floor with hardi-panel walls & that wide, white pole barn insulaton

Geographically where are you located? I'm in the Southern US along the coast. It's very humid here and my Dillon dies would certainly rust without constant dehumidification and/or air conditioning. If your dies are rusting you may have a humidity problem which can wreak havoc on your reloading supplies (powder/primers). Wal-Mart sells a thermometer which measures temperature and humidity for about $10.

Your shop is pretty large. I had a similar problem and air conditioning/dehumidifying a large area can get expensive. To keep the cost down, I created a well insulated 10' x 12' space in my shop for my reloading gear. I then added de-humidification and air conditioning to this smaller area to protect my reloading gear.

Humidity is the enemy when it comes to reloading supplies and equipment.

I am in SC. It is very humid here I just didn't think it would be an issue inside an insulated building. Walling off a small area is a good idea. I would hate to see the bill to run AC in the shop, ESP,w/12ft cellings.

I am in Greenville.

I have to run a dehumidifier.

Also are you cleaning dies with alcohol. That can be a issue if not using 100%

what size dehumidifier for what size area do you use & do you have to run it 24/7?

I am in Greenville.

what size dehumidifier for what size area do you use & do you have to run it 24/7?

I run an LG Electronics 30-Pint Dehumidifier (Model # LD301EL). My room is 10' x 12' and this unit works great.

You can get it from Home Depot for $138.00 (Was $198, but it's on sale right now). Mine is a couple of years old and works great.

It is fully automatic. Just set the desired humidity level (ie. 45%) and it will run only when it needs to.

The unit fills to capacity every day this time of year. Don't worry, it shuts off automatically until you empty the container.

Note that this unit has the ability to attach a hose to it to allow it to drain outside. This is what I do as I don't want to empty the container every day. The unit uses standard garden hose fittings to do this.

Here's a link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-30-Pint-Dehumidifier-WAS-198-LD301EL/202848118?N=21j#.UcityTco4dU

Note that I'm in the Deep South (Northwest Florida Area) on the Coast. Humidity here is about as bad as it gets.

Edited by razorfish

Geez, I didn't realize it was that big a deal. I have some Lee dies that have a touch of surface rust (live in Houston TX, high humidity, but reloading room is inside), but not on the internals.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

If you're loading room is inside, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you're in Houston, your air conditioner is getting a workout this time of year and is probably keeping your humidity extra low. I would bet your "touch of surface rust" comes in the spring or fall when the AC isn't working so hard and the humidity is a bit high outside, but again no big deal.

The original poster is loading in an area without HVAC and noted that his dies were rusting "easily" even after oiling them. That's a problem especially with regard to powder and primers.

My climate is very similar to Houston. I have some high end guitars that are very sensitive to humidity so I pay special attention to it year round. Again, you can keep something dry by putting it in a relatively air tight case. My guitars spend a lot of time in their cases in the spring and fall. My reloading room stays dry year round thanks to a little AC and a dehumidifier.

Edited by razorfish

I am in Greenville.

Don't recall the size and im at work bro.

But I have a large one that sells for 300-350$ at Lowes and HD.

With digital display, set you humidity level and forget it. This unit has the

Hose attachment, I highly recommend that.

Its in a 35x35 garage.

Btw Craigslist for your dehumidifier. It will be your best friend!