Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CTS 40 fires with safety on?

brandocommando9

Hey guys I have a cts 40 that's been a great gun, the one problem I've always had is the safety was very weak clicking into the on and off position. This wasn't too much of a bother as the safety still did its job but compared to my shadow and 75 cts long slide which have a great positive engagement it is way to soft.

Well today I was cleaning my mags and when I was done I did a few mag changes and some dryfire practice as I was putting the gun away I did a function check racked the slide dryfired, racked the slide again engaged the safety then pulled the trigger and what do ya know the hammer fell! So I tried it a few more times and every time the hammer fell!

Anyone else with a 40 cts have a problem like this or maybe know what's going on should I just call cz custom? I'm just damn glad this didn't when on fathers day when I went shooting could have been real dangerous especially as light as the trigger is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks everyone!

Sounds like your Sear or safety lever was improperly fixed. Easiest/best fix is get a CGW adjustable Sear the quality on the sear is much higher and it's adjustable so you can somewhat adjust the amount of tension on the safety.

Edited by thompsoncustom

Brando, when you pull the trigger, is the safety fully in safe position? or does it get pushed down? If it stays up I agree it's a misfit between sear leg and safety, but I wouldn't buy a new sear just yet; most likely it's the safety which has too much metal removed. What type of hammer is installed? have you changed the hammer since it was new? a hammer with deeper hooks will make the sear/safety fit looser.

It sounds like you have two distinct issues, is the safety detent in place and in good shape? good spring tension? That's the first place I'd look when diagnosing mushy safety engagement.

Since you have other CZs, I would first try swapping safeties with another pistol. Good luck.