Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Trimmer Questions?

I'm having an issue with the my Dillon trimmer, the collar tilts up and down on my 1050 as the toolhead is raised and lowered. Any fix for this?

Also I'm planning on threading the jam nut for a set screw on the trimmer die so I can move it for different calibers, any problems people have run into doing this?

Edited by dan46n2

I'm having an issue with the my Dillon trimmer, the collar tilts up and down on my 1050 as the toolhead is raised and lowered. Any fix for this?

This post over at glockpost.com shows one way, using a wooden spacer to keep the vacuum collar in place.

http://www.glockpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1583

I use one of these as a spacer (Staedtler eraser):

staed5sm.jpg

Also I'm planning on threading the jam nut for a set screw on the trimmer die so I can move it for different calibers, any problems people have run into doing this?

Not yet, but I have three lock nuts are on the way for the same reason. There's a thread about it here:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=358928

They recommend a 6-32 screw, and the usual advice to use lead shot to prevent damage to the die thread from the set srew.

Use the Hornady Locking Collars. Set em up once, tighten them up and done!

You will be g2g...no more adjusting.

If I remember right the trimmer is a different tread pattern than a standard die.

Op's original idea should work as long as he makes sure its really tight so it doesn't come loose.

Use the Hornady Locking Collars. Set em up once, tighten them up and done!

You will be g2g...no more adjusting.

If I remember right the trimmer is a different tread pattern than a standard die.

Op's original idea should work as long as he makes sure its really tight so it doesn't come loose.

Thats right the upper threads are finer than the lower on the trimmer die so the hornady rings wont work.

Use and extra nut for the top of the die and just finger tighten the two together when you take the trimmer off the die. I found some old cork stoppers and made a flat cut on the side and jammed it between the trimmer and the vac collar.

Use the Hornady on the bottom.

There fore trimmer is always ready to go.

They are larger and also brace the vacuum junction

I'm not sure about the thickness of the Hornady lock ring but from memory I want to say its thicker than Redding lock rings (the ones with the lead insert behind the set screw). I tried putting the redding on the bottom of the trimmer die, on the underside of the toolhead and I damaged the shellplate locking, it crushed it because it sticks out a little too far. First I tried it in the stock location on the top side of the toolhead but the hole in the trimmer die was oriented so the set screw went into the hole so it wouldn't work. So be careful if you try to put any kind of die lock ring on the bottom side of a 1050 toolhead. Dillon was great and sent me a new shellplate locking at no charge.

Edited by dan46n2

i am not sure if i am on same page as you.

i use the Hornady Lock Ring on lower of trim die and on top of shell plate.

its rock solid and all 223 brass is within .002