Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Spring Question

nhglyn

I have a STI Eagle Open gun and am presently shooting 124 gr jhp at about 1380 fps, power factor of 171 +/-. It presently has an ISMI 12.5# spring with 4 coils cut off, but I am wondering if I should go to a lighter spring. 11#? 10#? Can you give me some advice? Thanks for the help.

You dont have to, but you could try a lighter spring to feel if its better for you. You could get a 7lbs spring to see if the gun works, and check how it feels. Lots of shooters prefer light springs, lots of shooters prefer heavier springs. You could check on a timer what spring make you faster and so on. I use a 12lbs spring because I prefer it. The other guys I shoot with prefer 8lbs springs.. - It's a matter of taste, and your gun have to work of course. You could try with no spring at all, the gun works anyways - but I doubt it will work for long :-). Too heavy spring could damage your locking lugs, too light spring could damage your frame. It all takes time - and is called wear and tear, - but if you like your spring and it works - its ok. This might not be the answer you wanted :-).

Take care!

• 1 month later...

nhglyn

I worked out my load for 38 super, then got 7-14# springs and just changed them untill I got to a low recoil point. I use a shock buffer so I could tell if it was to light. The heavier the spring the more recoil I felt. The lighter the spring the more it would hit the shock buff. When I got close (with in 3#) I couldn't tell much difference. Then I tryed double taps at ten yards, 5 sets with each spring and found 8#s is the magic # for me. If you see this try it and let me know how it turns out. I don't know if this is the right way of doing this, it's all I new to do, and it worked for me.

Ronnie S

Still praying for that A

I run 7-11 pound recoil springs in shorty open shooters. usually cut one to three coils off. gotta tune the spring to your load and the feel you like . i always run a recoil buffer,it helps to monitor the slap against the frame according to the degree of indent in the buffer. B)

redmercury2

I didn't think about the short guns. That dose sound right, to cut off some of the spring on those. I'm still running a long gun, SVI in 38 super. Old school, but it runs like a sewing machine just louder and a whole lot more fun. I know most guys are going to the shortys in 9mm, but I just cann't give up my SVI 38 super. Sorry that sounded like a commercial, but I'm in love with it. Maybe I'll get one by SVI if they make'em.

Ronnie S.

Still praying for that A

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also shooting 124 gr. but at a slightly lower pf. My 5" gun works best with an 8 lb spring and a Sprinco. At tis point, I'm more concerned with reliability than feel. I figure I can always get used to feel but not unreliability. I'd start with 8 then 9 then 10 and 11. I use the lowest spring weight that keeps the gun reliable.

I second the springco and 8lb progressive spring,

It's the setup I run in a full size open gun, shooting 125’s,

And I run a springco and a 8lb commander spring in my shorty.

I really like the springco system, because it helps protect the frame.