Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Mossad as back up competition gun and gunsmithing guinea pig

allthumbs

There have been many of the Tanfoglio Mossad pistols showing up on Gunbroker. I've read that they are based primarily on the series 88 and newer Witness. Is this a decent base to try my hand at CZ/Tanfoglio pattern gunsmithing? I believe parts are still available. Is that true? I'd basically want to try to rebuild it and attempt an action job. I'm hoping that if I run into issues or make a mistake, I'd be able to replace whatever problem parts I've fouled up. Can barrels be had if I get on that is shot out?

I'd like to use it as a backup afterwards while I either work on my CZ85 Combat, have work done on it, or sell the 85 to get a Shadow. As far as I know, my Mecgar 16rd mags should work in the Mossad and I would only need a holster for a small frame Witness to fit the Mossad.

Good plan or fever dream?

Yes, I bought a surplus Mossad off GB and I was great! A few of the ones you're looking at are actually in great shape and are a real bargain. It uses the same parts as a small frame Witness. I have sort of a sick fetish for small frame Tanfos, feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions.

Thanks for replying with your experience with the Mossad. I likely will be getting one now. Glad to hear that they are small frame compatible. Does that mean my 16rd Mecgar CZ mags will work? Or will they need modification? I wasn't sure if it is the even older Witnesses that can use cz75 mags or all small frames.