Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Velocity and Accuracy

Lifeislarge

So I've been loading for a while now, and it seems that no matter which powder I'm using, I find myself chasing the magic 170 PF unicorn. My question is, does a higher velocity equal a more accurate load? Do different bullets shoot better at higher velocities? Right now I'm loading 180 gr. Zero JHP's to around 960 fps giving me a 172 PF.

When I was working up this load I had a line of rounds that ended up being around 1000 fps and although they were snappier, they seemed to be a bit more accurate (when shot slowly through the chrono). I know I want the handling attributes of the lower PF but I also think I might not be getting the most accuracy out of my ammo. Perhaps someone can set me straight.

Accuracy really comes from consistency. Find a consistent load then adjust you sights to align POA with POI and you will have an 'accurate' load. Certain bullet/powder/OAL will be more or less consistent at certain velocities through certain barrel. One combo may be more consistent at a higher velocity, and another may be more consistent at a lower velocity. If you really want to optimize at a certain PF then you will need to be willing to experiment with lots of different powders and bullets. Or do like most folks and settle on 'good enough'.

There are too many variables to make a positive statement--"more velocity is more accurate". You can't say that by itself. Each powder, each bullet, each gun all have differing characteristics. If you don't want quite as much velocity, you will need to try a different powder. Every part of the load process affects the end result. For example, if you are loading powder that is a small volume powder(most fast powders), the position of the powder inside the brass has an affect on consistency. If you load a powder that nearly fills the case or high volume powder(many slow powders), the powder will be in the same position inside the brass everytime because it has less room to move around. This is likely to produce more consistency. The reality is, though, every load is a compromise. If you don't like your characteristics, try different components. Each piece has an affect on the end result.

So, have you shot benched groups with your current load? What kind of accuracy are you getting right now?

Really, for the action shooting games, bullseye type accuracy is not necessary. If you can get it consistently into a 6"x11" rectangle at fifty yards, that's going to do fine 99% of the time.

You might want something more accurate just for the sake of accuracy training, so that you know that any miss is on you, not the load, but I'd say that, over all, more time at the range running drills will serve you better than spending a lot of time and energy trying to improve the load to squeeze another half inch out of your 25 yd groups (shucks, without a scope, I don't think I can even shoot well enough to see that difference).

Accuracy really comes from consistency. Find a consistent load then adjust you sights to align POA with POI and you will have an 'accurate' load. Certain bullet/powder/OAL will be more or less consistent at certain velocities through certain barrel. One combo may be more consistent at a higher velocity, and another may be more consistent at a lower velocity. If you really want to optimize at a certain PF then you will need to be willing to experiment with lots of different powders and bullets. Or do like most folks and settle on 'good enough'.

I have never been able to correlate accuracy with consistency over a chronograph. Sure, consistency is something you want, but just because a load gives the lowest standard deviation, does not mean it will give the best groups at any given distance, compared with a load with a greater SD. Most of my experience with this comes from rifles, but I'm sure it applies to pistols as well. With my aging eyes, I don't want to have to prove it with an iron sighted pistol. :>)

Mike

In my opinion and limited experience the highest velocity load you can shoot accurately through your pistol will be the most accurate.

Lower velocity loads may be accurate but the higher velocity load will be more accurate. If velocity gets too high then accuracy falls off, mostly, in my case, due to my marginal recoil management skills.

The high velocity / high accuracy load may not be the best for this sport. For me, the load that makes PF, has acceptable accuracy and is easy to shoot is my sweet spot.

Find a couple of loads your gun likes, set up a stage then see what the timer and score sheet say.