Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope shooting high on See-Through Rings

Snipr2000

I just bought a rifle w/ scope at a gun show. Problem: The rifle w/ scope keeps shooting high. Now that said I’ve shot it open sights and it’s right on, so I’ve kinda ruled out a bent barrel or rifle malf. The Scope (Tasco Scope) is mounted on See-Through rings (because around here sometimes the shot is so close you need the open sights). While sighting the scope I started making my clicks… each time the pattern moved down the paper… then, still shooting high, it wouldn’t click down anymore. Are some scopes made to not allow for the use of See-Through scope rings or does it sound like I was sold a bad scope and should start looking for a new scope?

Snipr2000

Before you blame the scope too much, dump the rings. Get a good set of solid rings. Most see throughs on sporting rifles are notoriously unstable. With a good bore sighter, you can watch the cross hairs move if you push on the scope. See throughs also mount the scope to high for quick acquisition. A low mount will help pickup the scope, if of a low enough power, as quick as most iron sights. We did eight scope mounts today, and two were see through replacements.

All that said, the scope may bad. Again, a bore sighter will tell you real quick. Slap it on the gun, and see if the cross hairs move consistently.

My $.02:

Most Tasco scopes are questionable at best, with a few exceptions.

See through rings are a joke. You can't really "see through" and they raise the scope so much you can't see through *that* either.

I'd guess that your mounts are put on backwards if you're running out of down elevation.

If you're shots are genuinely that close, dump everthing and go with a 1-5X shotgun scope on GOOD rings and mounts.

Or, better yet, dump everything and learn to use irons. Contrary to popular opinion, you *can* learn to shoot irons well and quickly. Our fathers, grandfathers, and great grandfathers all hunted with irons and did just fine.

See-through rings are the shoddiest method of mounting a scope, except for wooden blocks and duct tape. And some shooters love 'em. I know, I mounted thousands of the damned things for Michigan deer hunters. They are extruded and sometimes bent. If you find that even with a good scope you're off, then you either have to exchange them or adjust them.

You adjust them by "mounting" a long (longer the better) one-inch steel bar, and bending the crap out of them until they are in line. Be aware, that by bending you are further weaking them, and they may not hold zero afterwards. And you can break them, or the screws holding them to the rifle.

As a professional gunsmith, when mounting the damned things, I'd just keep swapping sets until I found a combo that got me on the collimator grid. But I had a drawer full of "swappable" mounts to work with, courtesty fo the gunsmith who'd worked there before, no doubt doing the same thing.

Thanks guys. Never had See Through rings before, but wished I'd had them once or twice. So when the rifle came with them at the gun show I though of it as a bonus. Now that I have them and have heard your input I'll toss them and just get a good set of rings. Thanks for the input!!

Snipr200,

You can also shim your scope between the scope mount and the Scope to get it closer. By putting shims underneath the back of the scope ond on top of the front of the scope. Depending on the rifle being used and the maximum effective range it may be a (mute or a moot) point Ain't real good in English we speak Merikan here. The scope being so high in realative to the bore line the bullet rise and fall will be greater than if the scope is mounted on a low mount. Meaning the point of impact versus the point of aim at only two distance will be the same or anywhere close. Again depending on the rifle and balistics a low mount will enable a 25 yard zero can be three inches high at 100 yards and maybe dead on at say 250. But a 25 yard zero with a high see through mount will not be the same and more than likely put the point of impact 8 or 10 inches high at 100 yards. 3 to 4 inches high is acceptable in most hunting cases, as the zone is approximately 8 inches on the game animals most hunted. Now this is only my opinion based only on my experiences. Good Luck rdd