Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What bullet to load

lppd4

Just bought a Winchester model 70 in 7mm-08. the rifle is a SS Model 70 with a sporter weight barrel in a featherweight styled stock that I intend to use for deer/ hog hunting. My first range session started with a box of Hornady superformance 139 SST's and a box of Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 140's. The rifle would not shoot a good group with the Hornady ammo (3-4 inch group) but shot decent with the Win BST just over an inch at 100. My question is when I start to reload for this rifle am I wasting my time and money on Hornady bullets for this rifle? Should I just stick with Nosler bullets? I know both are good bullets and the Hornady's are about 2/3 the price of the Noslers but if they won't shoot they are no bargain.

Edited by lppd4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think your problem is probably with the Superformance part of that equation. I have a 270 that will shoot reloaded Hornady SST at similar velocity of the WIn. SBT and both shoot very well. But I tried a box of the superformance and same result 1" groups went to 3"-4" for a few hundered fps more it is not worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

If I understand you correctly you were shooting boxes of factory loads so you're comparing apples to onions. When you start varying the powder, charge, primer combo and now fire formed brass what you saw from the factory load/bullet combo doesn't mean much. I use both Hornady and Nosler for different purposes. Pick the bullet you want with the ballistic performance you want and go for it. Sometimes I'll use a cheaper bullet with similar BC, shape and weight to work up a load and then switch to the expensive one to fine tune at the very end. I've had great luck with the Hornady interlock but then switch to Nosler Accubond in my 270 Vanguard as well.