Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cayon Creek Mag Extensions with Pistol Gear Magwell?

JesseM

I have a XDm 5.25 in 45 and my goal is to shoot it in IDPA CDP and also USPSA Limited-10 at first and eventually expand into Limited outright with the use of the Canyon Creek 140mm mag extensions, giving me 18 rounds of 45.

The only mag well that will work in IDPA on the 45 XDm frame is the Pistol Gear magwell. This is troubling as I had to return one last summer when I first tried it out as it didn't let magazines drop free at all but as I cannot find another magwell at all so it seems my options are build my own somehow or buy the pistol gear and file away at it until it works.

My question is will the Canyon Creek mag extensions work with the pistol gear mag well? Has anyone tried?

I am kind of looking into adding a magwell to my XDm .40 5.25 to shoot some Limited and 3-Gun and want the Dawson as it attaches to the back-strap and requires no permanent mods to the gun’s frame. Trouble is, they apparently stay out of stock. I decided that the stock magwell was pretty big already, my reloads are not exactly lightning fast, I have not had any reloading issues to date that would have been solved by a larger magwell anyway so I am just going to run stock for now. Even though it kills me not to be able to spend money on gun stuff I am just going to wait.

I am kind of looking into adding a magwell to my XDm .40 5.25 to shoot some Limited and 3-Gun and want the Dawson as it attaches to the back-strap and requires no permanent mods to the gun’s frame. Trouble is, they apparently stay out of stock. I decided that the stock magwell was pretty big already, my reloads are not exactly lightning fast, I have not had any reloading issues to date that would have been solved by a larger magwell anyway so I am just going to run stock for now. Even though it kills me not to be able to spend money on gun stuff I am just going to wait.

I hear what you're saying and for the most part I agree with you but I'm of the mind that if I'm allowed to have it in the division I'm shooting then I'm going to have it. Finding a magwell is made harder by the fact that the 45 frame is larger than the 9/40 so Dawson doesn't a mag well for it, The Canyon Creek magwell does not state if it will work with a 45 or if it would be IDPA legal so right now that leaves pistol gear which while cheap doesn't work.

Edited by JesseM

The Canyon Creek mag well can be made to be idpa legal, 0.050" needs to be removed off of both sides. The mod is free if it is stated that it will be for idpa when ordering.

Rich

The Canyon Creek mag well can be made to be idpa legal, 0.050" needs to be removed off of both sides. The mod is free if it is stated that it will be for idpa when ordering.

Rich

Even for the 45 frame?

Rich

Even for the 45 frame?

Yes

On their website it says you have to modify the frame of the gun to get it to fit, what exactly does that entail? I'm wondering if it's something I can do myself without f*#king it up.