Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Epoxy for Building Up a Grip/Mag well?

dominatus

Hello all,

Long time lurker here. I have an XDm that I want to build up the grip/mag well then sand it down to have a smoother transition between the magwell and the actual gun/grip. What would be your suggestions for when I make my trip to the hardware store?

I've seen posts here when researching the topic of a lot of people building up or changing the texture of grips with epoxy and figured there should be some good experience here to help do the job right the first time...

Any advice is welcomed, thank you!

Edited by dominatus

I would lean toward the Acraglas Gel if you're looking to really build up some thickness. You'd also want to make sure to rough up the surface of the plastic so the epoxy has something to bite on, and make sure that everywhere you are applying the epoxy is clean clean clean.

I don't know of any hard setting epoxy that will take a heat stipple like plastic.You could lay in some texture mechanically as it is drying, or just use grip tape as you said.

Thanks everyone for the information! Either of those pretty durable and not brittle? Some epoxy will be around my mag well. It would be a failing experiment if all the epoxy chips off with the first not quite smooth reload.

Thanks everyone for the information! Either of those pretty durable and not brittle? Some epoxy will be around my mag well. It would be a failing experiment if all the epoxy chips off with the first not quite smooth reload.

Marine Tex is made for repairing boat hulls and will cure underwater. It is also commonly used for making "beavertails" on polymer framed guns, I think it will hold. I've used it a lot.