Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Race to B Class with the odds stacked against me

I know I'm just a scrub and your draw isn't bad but...

1 stop looking at the ground. Your eyes should be on your first target or where your moving to for your first firing position

2 try moving your non firing hand toward your holster and get your grip earlier in your draw it may give you that 10th of a second faster and the name of this game is shave time where ever possible.

I can't really see your reloads they are too fast for my eyes:p don't just grab the basepad try slinging your index finger down that sucker as someone said it'll halo align the mag in your gun a touch faster

You'd probably beat me arse in a match keep up that good work it'll pay off

This are some good points, thanks for saving me the typing..

One thing I would add is..

You have not really taken the time to figure out what the most "effortless" way of reloading and drawing is...

Instead, you are going as fast as you can, hoping you will eventually get smoother..

That in my opinion doesn't work that well sense it keeps you from learning proper technique..

Instead I would suggest that when you are dry fireing you alternate between match speed and some slower speed that allows you to feel what an effortless draw/reload feel like.

At this speed your actions should still be one fluent motion, but you should be able to feel every step of the process, allowing you to remove wasted movement and accessibe stress..

When you switch to match speed chase the feeling of effortlessness from your slower reps..

Key is take time to learn the technique first, and them learn to perform it subconsciously, it should not feel "fast" it should feel easy..

Were you aiming at something while dry fireing, or just looking for random sight picture?

Often dry fireing with a par time will make you cheat..

And not be disiplined enough to actually break and see a quality shot..

I would suggest that you remove part time from from your practice..

And focus on achiving effortless execution, leading to perfect sight alignment sight picture.

Good luck man :)

Yes and yes, you're both right. I've always had a challenge with my draws in that no matter what I do, they feel awkward. Long arms and a short torso make for a lot of movement regardless of what I do. Surrender start is easier for me than hands relaxed at sides (which I probably take too literally). I'll definitely try to make the adjustments you recommended on my mag acquisition. I was trying in this exercise to go full tilt boogie, to see just how fast I could go with repetition. There is an IPSC target in front of me and my sights are on the alpha (I'd at least get the first shot off on target).

I was festering in D class until I made a conscious effort to be faster. I now have to incorporate speed and accuracy. I can move pretty fast on the transitions (sometimes too fast and pass the targets) so for me it's about getting the confidence to be faster then dial it back a bit. It's fun to push the limit with no consequences.

• 2 weeks later...

I was festering in D class until I made a conscious effort to be faster. I now have to incorporate speed and accuracy. I can move pretty fast on the transitions (sometimes too fast and pass the targets) so for me it's about getting the confidence to be faster then dial it back a bit. It's fun to push the limit with no consequences.

If you are passing the targets it sounds like you are not transitioning correctly. Meaning your eyes go to the target, the gun follows. (Snap your eyes to the next target or shot and the gun will automatically follow it and stop where you are looking.) This by the way is a very good thing to practice in dryfire.

• 4 weeks later...

Take my advice with a grain of salt, since I'm a newish shooter (shooting just over a year, semi-seriously since about last fall), just putting up B classifiers in the last couple months.

First thing I would do is ask your buddy what kind of stuff he learned in the class, and how it's changing the way he practices. I personally have seen plenty of people fighting jams on high dollar equpment, and plenty of people with inexpensive but quality gear that just works so they can worry about shooting, so i think the equipment stuff is just lame excuses.

Next thing I would do is start figuring out what works for you. For me, I can only focus for a limited amount of time in dry-fire, so I do 15-20 minutes in the morning, and then again in the afternoon. Don't just go through the motions, figure out what you need to be able to do in match (or classifier) and train that skill. Examples:

1. draw to a 20 yard target and pull the trigger without disturbing the sights.

2. leave a position as soon as possible after you have finished shooting. Faster shooters are already leaning and moving their body as they shoot the last target in an array.

3. Start shooting as soon as possible when you get to a position. If possible, shoot an easy target on the way in.

4. incorporate your reload into movement so it doesn't cost you as much time. Run the same movement with and without a reload so you know how long it takes.

5. and most importantly, make sure your fundamentals are sound. Make sure you can put almost every shot into a 2" circle at 7 yards. You need to be able to hit difficult shots with confidence, not just spray and pray and hope you didn't hit any no-shoots.

And a bunch of other stuff too, lol.