Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sniper Central Package

dbletap_ed

Yes. It's where I started. Mel offers a good service for a reasonable price. The really big thing here is that you need to do your homework first. There are a lot of options and you can end up wasting money if you don't know what you really need and want.

If you are just starting out and want to shoot a factory barreled action then I would just get a R700 and drop it into a chassis with a full length bedding block. The AICS is a nice chassis. Save your money on carakote, tactical bolt knobs and all of that other stuff until you are into it and know what you need/want.

You can get a R700, chassis and torque screwdriver a lot cheaper than what is in that link. If you aren't getting any custom work done you'd be paying about $400 to have someone torque 2 chassis screws and the scope base/rings.

If you are just starting out and want to shoot a factory barreled action then I would just get a R700 and drop it into a chassis with a full length bedding block. The AICS is a nice chassis. Save your money on carakote, tactical bolt knobs and all of that other stuff until you are into it and know what you need/want.

You can get a R700, chassis and torque screwdriver a lot cheaper than what is in that link. If you aren't getting any custom work done you'd be paying about $400 to have someone torque 2 chassis screws and the scope base/rings.

That depends entirely on what you want. Before I bought my gun from Mel, I went through a huge laundry list of options and shopped around and found two things. First, it's not always easy to find what you are looking for and second, there was only a small difference in cost unless I could find things on sale or low ball the quality and once I paid for shipping components from 3-4 different vendors.

As to the AICS, it is a very nice chassis, but unless you want detachable mags and know for a fact that you like thumb hole stocks, that's a REALLY expensive option! The OP doesn't mention how much experience he has or what kind of rifle he is looking for or what he wants to do with it. That's why I suggest that he do a lot of research first to find out what he needs.

AICS is an expensive option and a *heavy* one. I got mine for the detachable mags and no-bedding home build, but... if I were to do it over again, I'd probably get a Manners T4A with their DBM, and been at just about the same price-point with a lighter, handier set-up.

It's about 300 - 400 more than what you could put it together yourself for depending on options.

Stocks are a personal choice and I personally dislike the B/C stocks on there.

You would probably be a lot better served by purchasing a rifle separately and skipping the options and spending more on a better optic.

600 dollar rifle and a 1,000 scope will be a lot more useful than a 1200 dollar rifle and cheapo scope.

It's about 300 - 400 more than what you could put it together yourself for depending.

I'm not going to get out the calculator, but I DID do the homework a couple years ago and the difference is not as much as you seem to think. Plus, you say you don't like the B&C stocks, so that makes this a bad choice for you to start with.

This is not for everyone. It's an entry level rifle. Some of the options are more than you need for a first rifle, but they are just options. You pay less for shipping but extra for the convince of one stop shopping. And the owner can be very helpful in helping you decide what you want.