Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are shell holders interchangeable?

dlouie87

Hello,

I'm new to reloading and I have a set up for the Dillon 550b but I have been told that a single stage press would be "better" for precision loads. Obviously the dillon shell plates won't work on a single stage but I am just curious if the shell holders are interchangeable with different brands. Like can I use RCBS shell holder for a .308 on a Redding single stage press?

Also are there any recommendations on shell holders? RCBS, Redding, Lees, etc.

I'm also assuming that these shell holders can be used on hand priming tools, case timmers, etc as well right?

I was thinking about using the dillon to resize and deprime. I can use the RCBS chargemaster to load the powder and use a single stage to seat the bullet.

Thanks for looking.

Dan

All the late model ones should be interchangeable. Some of the earlier presses - Lyman turret, for instance - used shell holders all their own. Lees are probably the least expensive, if you can find them at present.

Modern shellholders do interchange, with some exceptions. Shellholders for the Lee Autoprime, for example, are different.

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, however, you may want to reconsider using the single stage. A properly set up Dillon has worked for David Tubb and John Whidden- with a bit of tuning.

Modern shellholders do interchange, with some exceptions. Shellholders for the Lee Autoprime, for example, are different.

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, however, you may want to reconsider using the single stage. A properly set up Dillon has worked for David Tubb and John Whidden- with a bit of tuning.

Yeah, I have talked to Mr. Whidden and I have 2 of his tool heads. Most of the people I know that reloads for .308 have a single stage so it had me thinking why won't they use their dillons to load their rounds. They told me that a single stage is just "better".... but never gave me a great answer.

I'm going to start on the dillon and see how that goes. I just wanted a question answered for the "just incase" situation.

Thanks for your suggestions!