Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber rear? WO Rear? Eyes ain't what they used to be

tortuga

So I am struggling a bit with my sights. From way back when counted on a plain black rear and a patridge style front for wheelguns, and as close to that as I could get for my comp semi-autos. Getting older (52) and have had to go to an FO front which has been a new lease on life for close work, but I am still having trouble making the transition to a good sight picture for longer shots. Have to shift focus quite a bit.

Current setup is CZCustom FO front and plain back rear on a Shadow and another CZ. I just bought a couple Glocks to try out, a 35 for Production and a 20 with a .40/10MM LW barrel for limited, and I am really liking the stock Glock white outline sights but I know they are not the best solution for precision. However, I can pick up the front and index it to the back much better than a black rear/FO front.

Soooo... Any suggestions? I have heard about the Hienie Straight 8 night sight and that sounds interesting, but like the bright FO dot.

At this rate I'm going to be forced back to Open before too long just to get a dot.

Edited by tortuga

I have a similar problem. Arms aren't long enough for a good sight picture anymore ;).

I have used Heine straight 8 on glocks and really like them. Good set up for defensive carry guns. The tritium lasts a decade or so too. Great product.

My glock 34 has Dawson precision fiber optic green frot sight and a DP adjustable plain black rear sight. Works great for me. I understand they now offer a FO adjustable rear that want available when I set mine up. I would buy that now, but not enough difference to switch at this point.

My other glocks all have the warren-sevigny fiber optic front sight and plain black rear. Again, I am thrilled with those sights.

On revolvers I use Toolguy (forum dealer) fiber optics front and rear.

You see the pattern that works for me. Hope it helps you.

-John

• 3 weeks later...

I had a pair of glasses made with the dominant eye corrected to see the front sight, the other minor distance correction. I got sunglass and impact resistant too so they ended up costing $500. A little strange if you walk around town in them but the work for matches.