Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modifying Grips to Fit Ambi Safety

cohland

After installing an extended STI ambi safety in a new 1911 (I'm left-handed, so this happens a lot), I noticed that when putting the safety into the "off" (down) position it was touching the top of the grips, on both sides. Since the grips (Hogue "fancy hardwood") were not very expensive I decided to whittle them down until I had some clearance between the safety and the top of the grip. As it turns out, there was quite a bit of whittling to do (with a Dremel), but the result is full travel on the safety. The safety works perfectly, there were no problems in fitting it, but I do wonder about all the clearance that was needed on the grips..I admit that I may have put a bit too much clearance in, but I wanted there to be no doubt that the safety was fully off.

1911AmbiFitting_zps1dbfcf27.jpg

I just thought it was odd to have to relieve the grips this much. Has anyone else had this experience?

Chris

Edited by cohland

Welcome to the world of kitchen table 'smithing where nothing fits right without a little (sometimes a lot) of dremel action.

As long as you have checked the fiunction of the TS, you are GTG.

I can't really tell from tbe pic, but it looks reasonably normal to me. Depending on where the TS bottoms out, you have to fit the grip panel to that position.

Welcome to the world of kitchen table 'smithing where nothing fits right without a little (sometimes a lot) of dremel action.

As long as you have checked the fiunction of the TS, you are GTG.

I can't really tell from tbe pic, but it looks reasonably normal to me. Depending on where the TS bottoms out, you have to fit the grip panel to that position.

Whew. Thanks.

I just finished fitting grips on a Springfield RO to a new ambi, and there was much less sanding needed. There must be quite a range of tolerance in grip dimensions, although I wouldn't think that placement of the bushings would be much different.

Chris

It's a feature of the STI safety. The Rosewood grips that on my Trojan (ordered with ambi safety) have the same notch.

When I swapped out the Rosewood grips for VZ black diamonds I ended up sending the grips back to VZ for the "STI cut". It cost me $5 including shipping. VZ rocks.

Just put an ambi on my Kimber Custom. No need to modify the grip as this one has the special pin to replace the gip safety pin and the right lever has a slot already to slide on the special reciever pin. Works nice! If your a lefty are you changing the mag release?

Edited by SAFuchs

Just put an ambi on my Kimber Custom. No need to modify the grip as this one has the special pin to replace the gip safety pin and the right lever has a slot already to slide on the special reciever pin. Works nice! If your a lefty are you changing the mag release?

I had to deal with that retention feature on a Sig 1911, which nearly drove me nuts.

I'm not switching the mag release, I've learned to use my left index finger, which gives it something (safe) to do when I'm changing magazines..

Chris