Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm die set and primer question

ngc

I just rec'd my 9mm dies set for the Dillon 550. There was an extra black pin inserted in a hole in the case, what is that for?

Also, there was a small retainer clip bouncing around in the case, hopefully it's a spare?

Also, the way the 550 ships from the factory is set for large pistol primers, correct? So I can load 9mm or 40 w/o swapping out primer gizmo?

And if anybody knows where I can order primers and powder, that would be great, can't find anything local. Bullets as well.

Thanks for any info!

That's an extra decapper pin in case the one in the sizing die breaks. Same with the retainer clip. If you ordered the machine setup for a 45 the primer slide in the machine will be for large pistol primers. Familiarize yourself with the priming system, you will need to swap out the primer slide and primer magazine tube. You will need to use the small primer slide and tube for 9mm, .38, .357 and 40. The large primer slide and magazine tube will be used for 45/10mm/44.

That's an extra decapper pin in case the one in the sizing die breaks. Same with the retainer clip. If you ordered the machine setup for a 45 the primer slide in the machine will be for large pistol primers. Familiarize yourself with the priming system, you will need to swap out the primer slide and primer magazine tube. You will need to use the small primer slide and tube for 9mm, .38, .357 and 40. The large primer slide and magazine tube will be used for 45/10mm/44.

hmmm.....didn't order it setup for any particular caliber, so would it default to be the larger primer? maybe I can tell from the extra primer slide that came with it....I'll have to look. Thanks!

hmmm.....didn't order it setup for any particular caliber, so would it default to be the larger primer? maybe I can tell from the extra primer slide that came with it....I'll have to look. Thanks!

You can do it. Compare them and see.