Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Minor - slide weight worth messing with?

synergy

I'm currently shooting a 17 with a magwell, and some grip and trigger work in Limited. I've made B class with it (beginning of my second season in USPSA), and now I'm considering some upgrades.

I've got some lead ammo in the basement, so I'll soon be picking up a KKM barrel to shoot it. I'm planning on picking up a 34 slide at the same time, and just getting a 34 length bbl instead of a 17 length one.

If I go that route, for Limited division, shooting factory 9mm ammo... does anyone think there'd be much sense in milling some weight off of the 34 slide?

I'm running a 13# spring (IIRC) on a steel guide rod now, but I don't plan on shooting anything other than factory ammo.

Any shooters really notice enough of a difference in their splits (or even in how the gun handles) to justify the cost of sending it out to be lightened?

Thanks guys!

Jim

i think if you are shooting limited minor anyway, you are probably not going to benefit from a lighter slide with the minor loads as far as slide mass reciprocation, but it will still make the gun lighter if that is what you want. Limited minor though with a slide that is rather light anyway, hmmm. Others with more wisdom may chime in but I think with limited minor, you are probably just right with the stock 34 slide and the trigger that makes you happy, and sights too.

B Class? Awesome!

JZ

Is resale value a factor?

Not really. I already stippled the frames, and most of what I buy I make my own. My Glocks are AR's are guns that I usually treat like borrowed mules and expect to run into the ground.

I've shot 34's a bit before, just usually when borrowed for a range trip.

I'm getting about 80% of points in my division now, so I'm happy with my performance... but I need to start pushing my speed. I clean up on available points, but my splits and transitions are where I need to focus. My thought is the longer sight radius should help give some better feedback on mid range shots, and give me more confidence to break the shoot faster. Footwork is something I'm trying to focus on too, but that's another topic.

I see a more refined trigger in my future as well, but I'm making it work for now.

Thanks again,

Jim

Edited by synergy