Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

230grn Bayou Bullet with W231/HP-38

us_shooter

I have used 4.5 of 231 @ 1.255 in my glock 21 worked just fine and fairly accurate hodgdon data is 4.3 to 5.3 is MAX @ 1.200 I just tried wst tonite for the first time with a 200 lswc it is a tack driver was impressed to say the least

Edited by bodene 5

If all you care about is accuracy, then these bullseye loads should get you started.

5.4 grains 231 for 50 yards

4.6 grains 231 for 25 yards.

1.26 overall length. Crimp .469.

Those are the loads I used before switching to Clays.

Both are accurate enough to hold the x-ring fired from my hardball gun off a rest.

Hope this gives you a good starting place.

I tried several loads yesterday out of my Ruger SR1911. Results were dismal at best..

Tested at 20yds from a sandbag. All bullets were loaded to 1.250 length and crimped to .469 with lee fcd.

Five shot groups

W231

4.0grn 7" group

4.2 6-7"

4.5 6-7"

4.7 6"

4.9 5"

I was convinced that something was wrong with the gun so I loaded some factory Hornady 185grn critical defense rds in the gun and shot a 5 shot group that measured 1 1/4", so it ain't the gun.

I had my dad go get his XDM 45 to try. All groups with the XDM were 3" or less with the 4.9grn load grouping into 1.5".

I've been reloading for 10 years and never had such horrible results, but this has me puzzled.

Also tried 5 different loads with Titegroup and had the same poor results.

Using the Lee FCD die may be your problem.

The sizing ring in the crimp die can swage down lead/moly coated lead bullets and cause accuracy issues.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lee+factory+crimp+lead+bullets

Kinda thought the same thing, but have used one on every caliber I've ever loaded and had excellent results.

Have always used Precision Moly in my 40's and got incredible accuracy with the FCD.

I'll try using a regular hornady crimp seater die.

Here is an update.

I got rid of the lee fcd and replaced it with a hornady taper crimp.

I'm still getting 5-6" groups with every load but the 5.0, which gives a 4" group!!!!!!! WTH

My dad was with me when I was testing it, and he tends to believe its the bullets. He walked to his shop and brought me back some of his homemade flat point 230's that were loaded over a small charge of Clays. The four rounds went into a 2" group.

Evidently my gun does not like the bayou bullets.