Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My New Mondo Tumbler

ANeat

Hello everyone; With a little inspiration from EricW (Thanks Eric ;) ) and his Brass Weasel he recently posted about I have came up with my own creation. A little background information first. I am an electrical/electronics tech in a large machine shop. We have been replacing these motors that are used to feed the metal chips out of the machining center using a slow turning auger. They have a tendency of tearing up the keyway if overloaded a little and when that happens they get replaced. Another nice feature is rather than being 3 phase 480 volts like everything else we use these motors just happen to be 115vac :rolleyes:

Well with a little machine work and welding, along with a 5 gallon bucket this is what I came up with B) Not only do I have much more capacity than my previous tumbler but it cleans the brass so much faster. My brass is clean in just a couple of hours compared to running my other tumbler overnight.

Adam

tumbler.JPG

tumbler2.JPG

I'm convinced that when we do finally build starships and go cruising off to the far planets, you can count on three things being on board (whether the Captain wants them or not): five-gallon plastic buckets, copies of Playboy, and at least one 1911.

For the articles only of course ;)B)

Holy %$!@! A motor with actual gear reduction.

I dub thee Forum Tinkerer King. I am not worthy. I bow in the presence of greatness. B)

Thanks Eric; yes I got lucky finding a gear reduction setup. I forgot to mention it before but the bucket runs at 30rpm. I tried it first without any paddles in the bucket and it was taking forever to get the brass clean. Everything seemed to be "tumbling" just fine, perhaps I needed more rpm's ??

Anyway I added some paddles to the inside and the difference was like night and day :)

I may be getting some more motors in the future as we replace them so If you would like to tinker with one drop me a PM ;)

Now I need to get out and dirty up some brass :P

Adam

Adam,

My trick to get things to tumble was to tilt the whole unit. That way, the media was travelling around different radii front to rear which kind of automatically forces agitation.

I'll be the paddles would really help though. I just might have to take you up on a motor one of these days. Direct drive is definitely way cool. :)

Great job!

Your off work this weekend right?

Also, I can't go to the show this weekend. Rain has put us behind a couple days and I need to get a crew started on a 4000ft waterline job and get a sandfilter layed out for my other crew.

I could use a couple thousand 147's if you dont mind grabbing me some while your at the show.

I cover my tumbler with blankets when it's running. Makes it mondo quieter. ;)

Sig, I think if I tried that my little tumbler would burn up :( I probably had it a little overloaded anyway which didnt help with the heat or noise :blink:

Adam

Nick; I sent you a PM :)