Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Member and New Owner of the Versa Max

Hello all, I am a new member on this forums due to that the 3 Gun Nations forums are dead. I just picked up a brand new Versa Max 26" Syn today. I got a really good deal on one which is 1k out the door and with the rebate will help out. In my shotgun experience with 3 gun is my old 1100 Tac 4 which I loved and wanted to upgrade my feeding rate. So far I am dissapointed on how the Versa Max loads. The shell latch is terrible, I have to shove the shell as far as I can which feels like my thumb is inside the mag tube until I hear a click from the shell latch. Nothing like my 1100 with the Daves EZ loader. I need some help and advice to get this bad boy actually loadable. I have read very little upon polishing the shell latch and I am totally lost upon the spring deal??? I have seen a couple of pictures but the visual concept has not registered in my brain. I can work on guns somewhat I have built ARs. I ordered the Carbon Arms 10 round tube as suggested from this forum and I ordered a Nordic bolt release and a large M1 style charging handle..... (Still waiting on the parts) I plan on calling remington and ordering another carrier to be sent off for welding. I took it out today to run at least a 100 various rounds I had collected. Which is slugs, buck and bird shot. It shot everything with a breeze. I was able to ghost load with no issues. But I am kinda let down on the Versa Max. Again loading this thing I truely hate. I have shot M2's with factory carrier with no issues but this thing is mean. It has no mercy on your thumb, I feel like I am molesting my shotgun when I have to load my shells, doesnt seem right. This shell latch is making me so mad!!! The recoil compared to a 1100 is disapointing. I thought I could tell a difference and there is none. So here is my list of questions.

1. When I first got it before I shot it I tried to clean it, so I decided to strip it down. I cant get the charging handle out. Is it this hard to pull out? Do I need to get pliers and mar up the paint on this charging handle to get it out???

2. Did your Versa Max Syn come with a comb? Not sure if the call it that...... Its the device you put on the butstock to raise your cheek position.... Mine didnt come with one.....

3. Need tons of advice on to correct my shell latch before I sell this thing.

4. How do you correctly install the Nordic bolt release button??? I know I am supposed to drill and tap but I need some pictures if possible and more advice.

Sorry for being an annoying NEWB here but to be honest thats what I am. I know you guys are a good group and help a NEWB like me!!!

Thanks Guys!!

The shell latch is pretty tight from the factory. Take it out and smooth out the rough edges at the tip. You can also open up the forward small half moon shaped openings with a small round file. Polish up the exterior surface and you will be good to go. Also take note of the factory mag spring. You can cut several coils off and it will make loading much easier. Careful not to cut too much, or you won't have enough tension to push out the last shell in the mag tube. Replacing the factory spring with a Nordic spring is a good idea anyway. The synthetic model does not come with the comb inserts, overmolded grips, or the adjustment kit. Charging handle should pull right out. As for the bolt release. It's a simple drill and tap. If you are not comfortable on that, someplace like C-Rums will do it for a small fee and fast turnaround. Release out of your gun and send the part in. You're the first person I've ever heard say that could not tell a difference in recoil. Maybe the soft cheekpiece in the Tactical makes a difference in perceived recoil.

I shot an 11/87 before switching to a versamax. I love mine. Sent mine to Crucible Armament and let the magic happen there. Had the loading port opened up, bolt lightened, and all the internals smoothed out and polished. Also had a sweet coat of Cerakote put on it and some killer QD sling sockets put in.

8469065283_ea38aa8bcb.jpg

8470161354_f0e23f7832.jpg

8469071945_357bd79a6b.jpg

I shot an 11/87 before switching to a versamax. I love mine. Sent mine to Crucible Armament and let the magic happen there. Had the loading port opened up, bolt lightened, and all the internals smoothed out and polished. Also had a sweet coat of Cerakote put on it and some killer QD sling sockets put in.

That is one sexy Versa Max!!!

Thanks for the tips. I ordered over $200 worth of parts from Remington. I also ordered the Tactical shell latch assembly which they said shoud have the bolt release button already drilled and tapped we will see. Plan on sending my lifter to C-Rums when I get my order from Remington. I will wait on the loading port since it is 3 gun season now

What color Cerakote is that? Looks sharp! Could you post a pic of your lighten bolt? Thanks

Assaulter one is Grove tec and the other is Noveske. Roxy the bolt was lightened by almost an ounce and a half. I will try to get some detailed pics posted. I don't have a stock bolt to compare it too.