Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Conversion to Open Class

Greg G

Hi all, I have an STI with a full length dust cover and was wondering if it is as easy as it looks to drop a compensated STI barrel in, stick a scope on and shoot open class with it? Obviously it would take some gunsmithing time but is it simply that easy?

Excellent ... I'm thinking of buying a trubor barrel and comp and getting it fitted to my standard 5" STI adding a scope and having a standard/open class blaster it will be long and heavy but a lot cheaper than buying a second gun simply to play in open class

BTW, I had a look at the website in your sig too... some very nice work there =)

What caliber of open gun are you planning to build? If your slide is a .40 or .45 and you want a 9x?? or .38?? open, then I think you have a problem with the dimension of the slides breech face. Unless your slide is an SVI infinity with interchangeable breech face, then the thing to replace is breech face, extractor and comped barrel. Drill the frame for scope mount and add a scope. Ooops magazine too. In Asia where .38S brass and its variance is expensive and sometimes unavailable, shooters stick with .40 and build open on the same caliber.