Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NoVA Reloader "Blue" Newbie

salemsm

After several months of deliberation, I decided to take the plunge and order a Dillon 550B from Brian. From all of the good press I have heard about him, I decided I'd rather get the order "right" rather than maybe getting it faster by ordering directly from Dillon.

Given the craziness with shortages of everything from powder/bullets/primers to (of course) Dillon supplies, I will try to be patient.

I'll just pass the time being a sponge and soak up as much info as I can.

Sure beats watching the clock/calendar!

Great plan. You might start by selecting the forum for "reloading ... Insert Your caliber here"

and read the last year's posts on the subject.

Select (and find to purchase) the one or two powders you want to start with, find some

primers (good luck), find some bullets (lead, moly, jacketed?) and of course some brass.

Then, find what loads you'd like to start with - OAL, bullet weight, powder charge, etc,

and buy a Chrono.

Then, when your Dillon 550 comes in, you'll be all ready to start pumping out some

cartridges to test ... You'll be a month ahead of the game. :cheers:

Great plan. You might start by selecting the forum for "reloading ... Insert Your caliber here"

and read the last year's posts on the subject.

Select (and find to purchase) the one or two powders you want to start with, find some

primers (good luck), find some bullets (lead, moly, jacketed?) and of course some brass.

Then, find what loads you'd like to start with - OAL, bullet weight, powder charge, etc,

and buy a Chrono.

Then, when your Dillon 550 comes in, you'll be all ready to start pumping out some

cartridges to test ... You'll be a month ahead of the game. :cheers:

Thanks for the response, H-P Jack. I would like to pick your brain on a low-cost option on a Chrono. Currently I only have 2 handguns, 6" barrel S&W 27 and a 8" barrel Colt Trooper MKIII, both .357 mags. What would a good Chrono choice be? Currently I am only shooting in an indoor range. Are Chrono's normally permitted? Sorry if I sound dense but I am a big-time greenhorn on all of this. Thanks in advance for all of your patience...

Scott, you'll have to ask your local range if they allow it - probably if the range is empty

and they might actually enjoy putting some rounds thru your chrono themselves -

unless they already have one - maybe you can borrow theirs.

Lots of people on this forum like "The Best" of everything - I can get by with what

works - I've been using a $79 Chrony for 20 years and it tells me how fast the

bullets are going:)

If you think you're a greenhorn, you should see some of the questions I asked when

I first found this Forum - matter of fact, I'm asking some pretty basic questions re:

my new AR here lately:) I didn't know how to load it until just a couple months ago:(

Ask away - and don't believe everything anyone tells you - up to you - there are some

very expensive chrono's that do a lot of things, some better than my Chrony - you

may prefer one of them - I prefer to save the money for ammo and wine. :cheers:

How many rounds/year are you planning on reloading for your .38's? Planning on

reloading for any other calibers, soon?

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

Scott, you'll have to ask your local range if they allow it - probably if the range is empty

and they might actually enjoy putting some rounds thru your chrono themselves -

unless they already have one - maybe you can borrow theirs.

Lots of people on this forum like "The Best" of everything - I can get by with what

works - I've been using a $79 Chrony for 20 years and it tells me how fast the

bullets are going:)

If you think you're a greenhorn, you should see some of the questions I asked when

I first found this Forum - matter of fact, I'm asking some pretty basic questions re:

my new AR here lately:) I didn't know how to load it until just a couple months ago:(

Ask away - and don't believe everything anyone tells you - up to you - there are some

very expensive chrono's that do a lot of things, some better than my Chrony - you

may prefer one of them - I prefer to save the money for ammo and wine. :cheers:

How many rounds/year are you planning on reloading for your .38's? Planning on

reloading for any other calibers, soon?

I like your priorities! I'm a CA escapee and am pleasantly suprized at how good some of the NoVA wines are!!

Currently only planning on reloading .38 spl/.357 mag for my wheel guns until I save enough $$'s to purchase one of 'em new fangled semi-auto shootin irons...