Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Initial Classification Question

prebancolt

Firstly, a huge thanks to everyone on this great forum. I"ve learned SO MUCH in the last few months! I'm certainly addicted!

I started shooting USPSA in January after buying a gun in November. I had never heard of USPSA until December when we went to a local range where "those guys run and shoot at targets." I liked what I saw and decided to try it for myself. I've been shooting tin cans and paper targets my entire life, but have never done any kind of formal or competitive shooting prior to my first match in January. Each of the matches in Jan., Feb., and March had one classifier, but this month's match consisted of 6 classifiers so the unclassified people could get classified easily. I recently joined USPSA, but I'd like to know what to expect.

Now, on to my question:

I THINK that the 4 highest of these 6 scores are used for initial classification, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Is this correct?

Lightening and Thunder CM 09-09 66.6857%

Both Sides Now #2 CM 99-16 74.8635%

Night Moves CM 99-02 63.2501%

Diamond Cutter CM 09-02 70.8631%

Lefty's Revenge CM 99-27 41.2276%

Melody Line CM 99-08 10.7796%

These percentages based on my hit factors came from www.classifiercalc.com

According to this, If all six scores were used, my average would be 54.6116%, or a C

But if the top four scores were used, my average would be 68.9156%, or a B

Am I correct in thinking that the top 4 are used? I've been to the USPSA site, looked at the FAQs, yada, yada, yada, but still am confused. Thanks in advance for the help.

J

Do you have any on file already from January through March? If so they will count as the first ones. Then the top scores from the special will be thrown in to complete the 4 needed for the initial classification. Based on that initial classification the percentage needed to count as a valid classifier will be determined. Then they will start looking at the most recent 8 valid scores where the top 6 will be used to figure your percentage.

I don't have any on file at USPSA. I have only applied for a membership since last month's match. I think these 6 are the first that will be submitted.

In that case, welcome to B class.

The occasional problem with a first 4 for classification would be if you shot these on separate days. If melody line was your first it would stay until you shot 9 classifiers. Once a score is marked as valid it stays as part of your classification until age takes it off.

Now just your 4 high ones should count and anything below 55% will not count as valid.

Interesting, and still a little confusing. I'm not sure how I feel about shooting into a "B" class.

On the Melody Line, it was the sixth classifier of the day, been out in the sun all day, nothing to eat and my buddy is rushing me to finish so we can leave and get home to eat. So, without thinking and feeling good about how I had been shooting all day, I listen to the beep, turn, and hose the targets. 3 mikes and a number of deltas out of 12 shots caused me to come close to zeroing the stage. I was shooting high on the tall targets and missing high on the low targets. Oh, well. At least we got home and got the grill going!

I'm still trying to get comfortable with everything, but I'm meeting some GREAT people at the range and meeting some GREAT people on this forum. Thanks again guys, gotta go start practicing with some dry fire drills!

J

• 4 weeks later...