Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting my new 20" AR upper

chp5

I haven't shot a 20” AR/M16 since the service (mid 80’s). I’ve always shot 16” carbines after that because I like the size.

After shooting some friends’ 20” and 18” rifles, I thought, “wow, this is really soft and flat.” I had a $100 Bushmaster gift certificate from last Christmas, so I bought a 20” Bushmaster Government profile barrel (about $200 total). I already had a JP FF tube and a TTi comp (very similar to a BM Y comp), so I put them all on a BM upper.

I shot it for the first time yesterday and I though something was wrong with my ammo because it felt like shooting a .22 magnum. Nope – nothing wrong with the ammo, just a super soft, flat rifle.

I didn’t shoot any groups, just close-in, fast transition practice. It seems to be roughly the same weight as my 16” HBAR upper and transitions nicely.

It did seem to cycle slower than a 16” upper, which was slightly disconcerting at first. But I could easily shoot two A’s at 10 yards or so with .16-.18 splits and good transitions (for me that’s really good).

I think a nice 18” barrel is the best balance between length and feel (I’ve shot Bear1142’s), but I don’t want to spend $400-500 on a barrel. Personally, I'm better off spending the extra $ on ammo. I’ll be shooting 20” uppers for three gun in the future.

OK – you guys were right . . .