Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger work on Hi Standard Sentinel

HarveyatPC

Hi All,

My Brother gave me his grandfather-in-law Hi-Standard 22LR pistol. Anyone know how to lighten the trigger pull and slick it up. It feel like 20 lbs! I have only work on S&W 686 & 629, but haven't found any how to DVDs/books or oldtimer. I'm trying not to buy SW 617 right now, but need/want to practice with a 22. Thanks for the help! Harvey

Yep, I've done triggers on a couple Sentinels. Twenty years ago, in the pre-S&W617 days, I shot my 9-shot Sentinel Deluxe quite successfully at the local steel plate rack matches. I sold that gun when I got my 617, but regretted it enough I bought another one a couple years ago just for sentimental purposes.

You can slick up the innards on a Sentinel, but the main goal is to reduce the mainspring tension without reducing it too far. The mainspring is a coil spring that rides on a strut. If you cut the spring down too far and start getting misfires, you can stack washers on the strut to increase the spring tension again. That's my tip for the day.

Carmoney,

Thanks for the information and is there an easy way to disengage the strut? Do you insert an allen wrench / rod from the bottom of the grip to pry it out? Second Question: Do you have favorite product to refinish aluminum frame?

Thank you again

Harvey

Gosh, I have to admit I don't remember how to take the Sentinel apart. Sorry--there is probably some online source that might help you out.

For home refinishing, the flat black baking lacquer is the way to go. Make sure you have a good degreaser on hand, and an open kitchen window near the oven, to let out the fumes!

Not much help, but Chic Gaylord wrote in 1960 that he improved the action on a Sentinel in 30 minutes, but gave no details.

I have READ that if there is a -100 in the model designation, it is impossible to reassemble without a jig as used at the factory. High Standard made a lot of $5 fees for putting them back together before they had mercy on their customers and upgraded to the -101 which could be put together with hands and ordinary tools.

There was a Sentinel Snub with 2 3/8" barrel and birdshead butt in a Facebook auction here recently. Price soon got higher than what I cared to pay.

I still have my Uncle's Charter Arms Pathfinder and my Mother's Kit Gun, though.