Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning method

Sigke

Its been a while since Ive really shot a lot and since there have been new cleaning products. I've chosen to go with M-Pro 7. I have the gun cleaner,oil and copper remover. From what I understand I will use the gun cleaner for the outside of the gun and in cleaning the bore. When cleaning the bore just spray it thru take s brush then go thru with cleaning patches sprayed with the gun cleaner until patches are white? After completely dry them run thru a patch with gun oil for preservation. Does this seem the correct method? I ask because it seems u-necessary to use the copper remover. Or should I not totally depend upon the gun cleaner alone for the bore and use another slovent such as shooters choice? I sure would appreciate any help as I have yet to cean my new X5 and just wanna make sure Im doing the best thing for both my guns. Thx guys

Your procedure is very similar to the way I clean. I soak a patch with Hoppes #9, run it down the bore, let it stand for about 3 minutes, and then run a brass brush down the bore a few times. I follow the brush with another Hoppes soaked patch, and follow up with a dry patch. I usually repeat a second time and then wipe down the rest of the gun with a Hoppes soaked rag. Wipe it dry, and finish by wiping with an oil rag. I have never used copper remover in a handgun. and only once or twice in a rifle.

I recently started shooting lead and also recently learned that lead gets the gun uber dirty. I got frustrated with it and ended up standing the barrle upright in the bottle of hopps #9 and dragged up some cleaner and let her soak for a few minutes. She came out clean!!!

I shoot a reasonable amount, like my guns clean and don't like cleaning them. So many moons ago, I purchased a small bench top parts washer. Filled it with safety solvent. I disassemble the guns and wash them out in the parts cleaner. Since I have a rather large air compressor, I than blow them off, oil and reassemble. The only other product I use is good old Hoppies #9 for the barrel. I found, by mistake, how to remove lead from a gun barrel rather easy. Once I was soaking a barrel in Hoppies I had in a PVC pipe. I used a peg board hook to pull the barrel out of the Hoppies filled tube. I got called away and forgot about it until the next day. When I went down to my loading bench I noticed the galvanizing on the peg board hook was white and virtually removed. Looking at the barrel the same thing occured. So basically soak the barrel in Hoppies overnight. Than remove it and let the air oxodize it and the lead with brush right out.