Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moss Indoor Range, Norway

I just got a kick-ass video of the 2003 Moss, Norway Indoor IPSC Championship from my good friend, Mikael Vieira (thanks again, buddy).

The video is a very well-made amateur effort with a hard rock/heavy metal soundtrack, great editing and a good dose of humor (all things I like to put in my own videos as well).

But the range that the event was shot in is what really impressed me. It's an underground (right downtown, from what I understand, so the match hotel is just five minutes away - by foot!) range with twists and turns for really interesting indoor stages. It looks cold in there, judging from the vapor coming out of the shooters' mouths and was a bit wet inside. A totally cool look.

All the shots seem to enter the walls which are covered with a rough-looking white material.

Can anyone give me any information regarding what these walls are composed of?

Here's the information forwarded to me by Mikael from Geir Owe (range master):

Moss Indoor Open and Moss Indoor Challenge are 2 level III matches we are

trying to put into our schedule every year. They are being held in our

indoor Range inside a mountain in the center of the town Moss, about 45

minutes drive south of Oslo in Norway. As the range is dowtown the city it

is only max 5 min walk away from the hotels. The range has a capacity of 4

stages simultaneous or 8 hot ranges. We have to be careful due to

air pollution, but we take that into consideration when setting up the time

schedule for the matches

Here is a link to the gun club's web page.

-Chet

Edited by DJPoLo

Chet,

I couldn't find an image of the range walls on that website, but one of the best surfaces to use on indoor ranges are REGUPOL shooting blocks and tiles, although I've never seen white ones (most of the ones I've seen are brick coloured).

If you really want more details, let me know and I'll send an email to Geir Owe.

Ehh, lets start by placing Moss correct on the map, it's in Norway. :D

The range is located in tunnels drilled in the granite, and the rock wall is painted white. As I understand they use tires to control bullet splatter.

I think the tunnels where drilled during WWII to be used as bomb shelters (not sure who drilled them, the germans or norwegians), but I'm sure the norwegians on this site will tell us about them.

"lets start by placing Moss correct on the map, it's in Norway" True. Moss is located in the very Southern-most part of the country on the coast; I had no idea there was an underground handgun range there. Beautiful place; I once visited an art museum there on the coast followed by a 1st rate dinner with moose meat steak as the main course. Wonderful country, Norway.

As for walls, Phil Strader lined the cinderblock walls of his indoor range with steel plates that are close to "T1" hardness & they take bullet impacts (including rifle) at up to 45 deg angle with no deformation to steel. The downside of course is the direction after impact. Generally, the bullets travel parallel to the wall within a foot or two of it, but not always. Makes prop & target placement indoors a challenge.

D.

www.shootersparadise.com