Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig X5 vs Sig X6

Cundiff5535

Hey fellas, I was looking at the Sig X5 and the Sig X6.. does anyone have any experience to say one of preferred over the other? I figure the X6 would probably be a little more accurate due to the sight radius... since I have never shot one of these I figure I would ask. Are the any other differences?

Additionally, I see there are a few different models of the X5... All Around, X5, and Competition. Is this the same for the X6? All I have seen on the X6 is a "level1". I am just curious as to what is the preferred model to have?

I have seen used X5's range between 1200-2400 depending on the model and when I have seen the X6 offer I have seen it go from 1900-2400. Do those prices sound about right?

I would love to hear thoughts on the two pistols as well as variants of them.

By the way, I dont shoot competition at all... I am just a guy who "collects" and shoots for fun with a set group of people!

Thanks, opinions...

Well the difference is 1 inch... Are you a 5 inch or a 6 inch gun guy? The all around has a standard double action trigger, not the super nice X5 competition trigger, and the "tacitcal model" has the standard P226 SAO trigger. You may find limitations with capacity compared to many other guns on the market. And unless you want to change the factory magwell, you can only use factory X5 basepads. Mec-gar +2's and taylor freelance pads require a huge amount of relief to get the mag to seat.

I own three different X-5's; the All Around 9mm (DA/SA), the Competition model .40s&w (SA only), and the L1 model .40s&w (SA only).

The only difference between the Competition model and the L1 is that the L1 has an adjustable trigger. It comes with a tool that allows you to adjust the distance, pull weight, and stop. It's really sweet.

I have Roger Sherman extended basepads that allow me to get 17 in the mag of .40s&w. I have 6 mags with the Roger Sherman extended basepads. They are all metal, very durable and high quality basepads. In 4 of the mags I get 17 rounds, in 2 of the mags I get 18 rounds. Capacity puts me at a slight disadvantage to the guys running double stack 2011's in limited div as they can fit a few more in the mag, but I still prefer my X-5 over say an STI Edge (and I also own an Edge). I also have a Dan Woodard X-5 magwell on my Competition model and L1 model. It's a much better magwell than the Sig factory magwell.

The Roger Sherman extended basepads will fit on any standard Sig P226 mag from Sig or Mecgar. And it's not any issue at all to adjust the Mecgar +2 basepads. I've done it to 8 of them. All I did was take it to my $50 grinder and just ever so slightly grind the upper sides of the basepad down. And now they work just fine and cost less than half of what the X-5 factory mags cost that only hold 14 rounds of .40s&w.

I own several 1911's and a few 2011's, and the X-5 is the best pistol I've ever owned.

And, I've never shot the X-6 so I can't comment on that model.