Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SAOD barrels from Lothar

mumzer

Anyone have any experience with their .308 barrels in an AR-10 application? i am looking for a midweight polygonal tube but cant seem to find any feedback on these guys.

thanks

I am in the same boat. I understand that LaRue uses Lothar Walther LW50 steel barrels for their Stealth 5.56 barrels. I have one and it shoots. I hear LaRue uses the same maker for their .308 OBR barrels.

Have you looked at Rainer Arms or Blackhole Weaponry? They both carry mid-weight polygonal barrels.

I have an email enquiry out to SAOD. I'll let you know how it goes.

No word yet. I did some research and found that SAOD and Lothar Walther are both based in Cumming, Georgia. And since SAOD uses LW barrels, I called LW about my LR-.308 build. I sent LW a detailed email covering what I'm looking for.

From what I can gather so far, a custom barrel and matched bolt from LW will run right around $500, which is in line with SAOD's barrel only price. The key difference: LW tells me they would need about 90 days to get a barrel to me. SAOD's site says they will ship in-stock items within 5 days after your order.

I'll let you know how things develop.

• 3 weeks later...

I know LW was backed up long before this hoarding craze even started. It took me 6 months on the average to get a custom barrel from LW 3 times in the last 3 years. Worth every minute and penny!!! I can't even imagine what they are going through right now. I'm sure I will order one anyways. The other 3 barrels were a 17, 18 and 19" poly AR-15 barrel. Now I want a poly .308 that isn't a Black Hole. Why, just because.... My Black Hole Weaponry/Rainier is great.