Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 20

dawg05

My experience is that with fast competition powders, the 10mm needs another tenth or two of powder to make equivilent 40sw power factor. There probably is a slight recoil difference, but I never noticed.

I think the issue is that there is no clarification in the rule book one way or the other. does the rule book clarify the definition of "caliber" or "Factory configuration" or did i miss it? It's not that I have an aversion to shooting the 10mm, just .40 has a bit less recoil and is cheaper to shoot.

Factory configuration means factory configuration. For example, one could not put one of the aftermarket .357SIG barrels in a Glock 35 and be legal. The same applies to putting an aftermarket .40S&W barrel in a Glock 20. In doing so, the pistol becomes one of "non-factory" configuration. Remember, I am referring to IDPA rules.

For USPSA and IPSC production, (I may be wrong) if you would check with John Amidon, I believe he would also consider it illegal. Drop him an e-mail.

Thanks for the clarification for IDPA. If the only criteria is caliber, then the 40-in-a-10mm should be OK. If there's more than that (and it sounds like there is), then probably not.

Somewhere there's a thread on the allowability of this in IPSC/USPSA PD, so we don't need to repeat that here..

• 3 weeks later...

Just want to add another YES to the 40S&W barrel in a G20 QUestion.

I use the same gun for all of my competition shooting.

Trigger, Mags, sights, everything is the same.

Except: I have 3 different Barrel & Recoil sring setups for my gun.

#1 Stock - Stock Spring & Stock 10mm Barrel - SELF DEFENSE & HUNTING

#2 IPSC - 17# spring & 40 S&W Barrel - Major PF Loads

#3 Steel Plates - 13# spring & 40 S&W Barrel - Minor PF Loads.

All I do is change the barrel and Spring. I keep each set in its own little case.

P.S. I convert the gun back to 10mm in about 15 seconds in the safe area at the end of each match.

Just want to add another YES to the 40S&W barrel in a G20 QUestion.

I use the same gun for all of my competition shooting.

Trigger, Mags, sights, everything is the same.

Except: I have 3 different Barrel & Recoil sring setups for my gun.

#1 Stock - Stock Spring & Stock 10mm Barrel - SELF DEFENSE & HUNTING

#2 IPSC - 17# spring & 40 S&W Barrel - Major PF Loads

#3 Steel Plates - 13# spring & 40 S&W Barrel - Minor PF Loads.

All I do is change the barrel and Spring. I keep each set in its own little case.

P.S. I convert the gun back to 10mm in about 15 seconds in the safe area at the end of each match.

What are you using for sights?

How does your POA/POI change with different barrels and loads?

I have the Hi-Viz sight. I originally used the "Light Pipes" supplied with the sights, but a .90 pin is a bit large on targets out to 35 yards. I now use .40-.60 fiber optic material. It fits the front sight and works well.

POI/POA are unchanged, at least as far as I can tell.

I did sight in my gun for the area 4 championship last year because I knew there was a 50 yard standard to shoot, but inside of 20 yards I've not been able to measure any noticeable change in POI/POA.

Ray

P.S. the very hot 10mm Car-Bon loads do a really nice job (terminal Performance) on most targets. My favorites are water-filled Milk Jugs and other "reactive" targets.