Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Black Bullets vs Bayou Bullets

Aggieddad02

Let me start off by saying I did use the search feature but did not find any post with direct comparisons to these 2 bullets. I have only been reloading for a couple of years and I have always used Bayou Bullets, however, I let my inventory creep up on me and now I am very low on bullets. I see where Donnie has a note on his website orders not being taken until he catches up and have sent him an e-mail to see what my options are for getting on a list. My son suggested looking at Black Bullets Intl. My question is has anyone ever gone between these two bullets and if so what were your observations.

I am using VV N320 and WinSP primers. Appreciate your help

I use BB Intl bullets in my 1050 with a Mr Bullet Feeder and have no problem with them gumming up anything. I don't get my hands dirty from them either. I have loaded Bayou also and can't really notice a difference when loading or shooting them. I also use N-320.

I'm curious to try Bayou one day, though I don't know that their sub 230gr .45 bullets will run in my Glocks. From what I've heard, anything with a SWC-like profile (exposed step on the bullet) tends to cause problems in the G30.

I just did a test though with the 1 specimen I have of Bayou and the two batches I have of OLD BBI*. It occurred to me a few minutes later to try with Precision as well.

I took sample bullets and rubbed them against a piece of card stock (the sleeve from a tray of CCI primers).

Bayou left nothing. I can see where it was rubbed, but I think only due to the impression it made in the material.

The bad BBI, if they were more conveniently shaped, I could use as a pencil.

The good BBI, still left a bit of residue.

The Precision left a litle less residue than the good BBI.

I did this on a primer sleeve I'd used to record data on the Bayou bullet I was given which was loaded by a local commercial reloader. This is the one from a recent thread I started about poorly loaded Bayou bullets.

In the picture, the top rubbing is from a Precision 200gr .45 bullet.

The middle rubbing is "bad" BBI 130gr 9mm.

The lowest visible rubbing is good BBI 130gr 9mm.

Below that one, what you don't see, is where I rubbed the Bayou bullet.

20130310coatings.jpg

* The bad BBI is a batch I got a couple years ago where the coating was apparently not done right and didn't adhere properly. I complained, replacements were sent that were much better. The company has since changed hands, and last I saw, the 130gr 9mm was not even currently offered.

Edited by njl