Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed vs Accuracy Training

toothguy

Since all my practice and training has been with a focus on accuracy what will I need to re-think, edit, or give up to be fast? I'm speculating that pecision shooters and speed shooters think differently. In order for me to be successful at speed shooting I will need make changes in training and thinking.

Very few shooters I know shoot something like PPC or Bullseye and also shoot USPSA. I would like to but I don't know if it's possible to be good at both.

You can be good at both. For the bullseye you are breaking the shot without a conscious effort to control the recoil while holding a perfect sight picture. For USPSA you are trying to form an acceptable sight picture and hold it when the shot breaks.

One way to look at it is that in many disciplines it is easy to align the sights to within a couple of inches of the "10 Ring" within a fraction of a second. It is the movement to a perfect sight picture that takes time. In USPSA we train to acquire that flash "10 Ring" sight picture and hold it until the shot breaks.

My suggestion would be to ignore everything that has to do with the shot for a little while. Pick up speed gains in everything that doesn't have to do with the shot. Draw/Movement/Transitions/Reloads, you can shoot slow and do all of those "fast" and you will beat most everyone at the local. Once you have that down, then you can tackle the firing cycle.

My suggestion would be to ignore everything that has to do with the shot for a little while. Pick up speed gains in everything that doesn't have to do with the shot. Draw/Movement/Transitions/Reloads, you can shoot slow and do all of those "fast" and you will beat most everyone at the local. Once you have that down, then you can tackle the firing cycle.

I think that's exactly it, the low hanging fruit is to be faster at everything in between the shooting.

Yep, you will eventually get board with it and have to work on the firing cycle but it is way better then the flip side (fast on the trigger, slow on everything else). Plus, you will have most of your fundamentals down and be beating (most) everyone else at the locals.

I think that's exactly it, the low hanging fruit is to be faster at everything in between the shooting.

I've come to believe in speed as a mode of practice where accuracy is not judged as long as speed gains are made.

Once the speed gains level off the goal is maintain them subconsciously as accuracy is brought back in.

I believe that once your body knows what it feels like to do X in X amount of time, that can (and should) become normal.

Them you're back to just shooting and calling the shot.

it's not mandatory, but i usually start live fire fire in accuracy mode where don;t get to see your time unless you shoot and call all A hits. (Speed is not judged)

Then I like to move to Speed mode where accuracy is not judged. (Even a miss is acceptable IF a speed gain is made and UNDERSTOOD)

Then finish up in pure shot calling mode to reinforce "just shooting."