Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old recoil spring tech outdated?

Silver_Surfer

Spring weight selection techniques seems to have changed a lot over the years. Please correct/enlighten me. In the 80's-90's the rule used to be to have your brass land between 3-10ft from the shooter. If the brass flies further than 10ft you add a stronger spring weight and if it lands closer than 3ft you lighten the spring weight. Now it seems to be all feel? I know buffers used to be big back then and now almost never used anymore. Just wondering why the change?

Thank You! S_S

Funny that you mention buffers. I'm just coming back into USPSA shooting after a ~20 year absence. We used to decide on a spring by starting with the what would be the lightest we thought would work and if after a 100 or rounds or so if it was cutting buffer we would move up a pound or two until we found one that wasn't.

It worked then and I see no reason to change it now.

Funny that you mention buffers. I'm just coming back into USPSA shooting after a ~20 year absence. We used to decide on a spring by starting with the what would be the lightest we thought would work and if after a 100 or rounds or so if it was cutting buffer we would move up a pound or two until we found one that wasn't.

It worked then and I see no reason to change it now.

Yeah I hear you. We used buffers to dampen recoil and protect the frame from battering. The reason I started this thread is after reading all the info above in the pinned section. No one seems to worry about frame battering. It was mentioned to use the lightest spring possible that would cycle the gun for a faster follow up shot and sight alignment.

Edited by Silver_Surfer