Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok better powder for 40 minor and major with 180 Bear creek

tiger49931

I've used both WST and Clays for minor and major loads with moly coated bullets. WST is the safer choice for major, but, as has been mentioned, you are on the edge with it when you push it to major speeds. Just be sure to work up from a safe starting point and stop if you start getting pressure signs. Most guns I've had can make major safely with Clays and moly bullets

Sorry to threadjack, let me know and I can buggeroff if this is too OT.

I have developed loads for my .40 with 180fp Bear Creek with Winchester 231. All the stores are currently out of it, but have WST and WSF in stock.

How similar are these powders to W231? Can I make major easily with them? Thanks

Steve,

Just as a question - are you loading the velocity for gun function or ??? You only need 945 for major, so thinking you could back off the powder to make that and lower the chamber pressures. Not trying to give you a hard time, more looking for good info as I am working up several 40 major loads to use in my XDM.

Thanks

WST with lead 180s that I cast myself. Makes major pretty easily, no spikey pressures.

I would disagree with this. I have shot WST for years with no problems until year. Have loved this powder a long time, but to make major, you are at the top end of it. Combine that with a shorter load for a Glock, and use brass you have picked up at a match, and you could easily have issues. My load has been 4.9gr WST behind a MG 180gr at 1.200 for my STI for years. I shortened the load to run in a Glock 22, and had my first KB! So I won't really say that the pressure is "spikey", but to throw that out there, makes it sound like it is all good and safe, but the reality of it is that to make major, you are at the top end of this powder's pressure limits. If you want to look at things, compare Sierra's max load with a 180, to the Winchester powder site, and see how far apart the max loads are!