Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W Model 10 Sights

jlamphere

You can, if you have a machine shop, and skills to mill out the rear old sight notch and tap holes to install a new rear sight, or want to pay someone else to do it (a few hunded bucks, I'm guessing it would cost, including cost of new rear sight). I guess a reblue would be in order, too I've heard of some Model 10's having pinned front sights, but it may be hard to discern due to the pin being polished and blending in to the front sight base.

You'd probably save money and hassle, not to mention spare the cobbling up of a M10, by just getting a similar revolver to replace the Model 10 that comes with adjustable.removable rear sights and allows easier sight swaps, such as a Model 15, 19, 66, or 686.

Edited by johnmac

Thanks, I will look into the other models you suggested. From the pctures I have seen of the mod 10, it looked like it would take some mill work, but I thought maybe someone had something that might work. I am looking for a 6+ shot, purse carry gun in 38 special, with a nigthsight.

It can be done. A new front sight won't be all that expensive. Adding adjustable rear sights will add cost, and would drive you toward one of the factory models listed above.

However, none of those models have tritium night sights if that's what you want.

I have had many revolvers retrofitted with Warren Moore's fiber optic sights. They are excellent indoors and out. Not exactly night sights, but Warrens's design picks up ambient fairly well. He is TOOLGuy on this forum and has a dealer section. His sights can be fitted to a model 10.

I suggest you look at good fiber optics (there are many) and tritium before you decide. Tritium does fade out over time. My Heine tritium night sights died after a few years. Not the fault of the sight or maker, just physics.

If you find a factory 3 inch K frame, snap it up. I've been looking for an affordable one for many years.

-john