Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load Data

Leroy

Look in your loading book under 38 S&W. the cases are very similar, the 38S&W has a thicker web at the bottom of the case so be very carefull when working on the load. I was using 4.5 Unique with 147gr west coast bullet sized .357"

I thought the short colt load was a little iffy, my cases started showing signs of case failer. I actually went with 38 Long colt. It's about a tenth of an inch shorter than a special case and about the same longer than a 38 super case. the load for tha is 4.0gr titegroup with 147gr west coast sized .357" that about 130pf out of my 5" PC627. good luck, John

John,

Thanks I am getting a 627 357 and that is what i am thinking about using the 38 short colt in...

Do you have good luck with the moon clips?

I have a 627 in the 38 super hard to find good clips for this caliber.

Leroy

Hi Leroy, welcome to one of the best info places on the Earth!

I started loading short colt in my 627 when I didnt have a 627 Super. I went through 158 bullets, and after emailing with one guy that blew up his cylinder with 158 bullets trying to make minor I decided to try 130-147. Also realize that I have a DOuglas custom bbl. on my gun. 3.1gr VV310 147 westcoast rn VERY IMPORTANT crimp .368. 2.5 inches in a cirular pattern at 25yds. Same load with 3.0 CLAYS still good but pattern a little more opened up. Crimp is very important with plated bullets. You have to take the time and see what the gun likes.

I dont know what the load will be like in the 5in factory bbl, but it shoots well in my stock 6.5 bbl. 8shot as well.

To be honest with you, now that I have the 8shot Super I dont really use the short colts anymore, but that is what work well for me. Be careful working up a load, as with some powders you will have sticky extraction, I have a scar on my hand from not checking out firing a cylinder full and extracting fast before a match.... <_< Good luck and go slow! DougC

PS I have had best luck with the clips from Brownells, but get the moonsetter! If the brass moves freely in the clip, you are fine!

Doug

Thanks for the info..Sounds kind of risky using the short colt i saw alot of prople ueing it at psa this year.. gonna shot my super in open class and use the 357 for stock class next year is the plan...

I hope i can a better group than 2.5 at 25 yds.. my super will do under an inch at 25.. Man the way i shoot i need all the help i can get lol..

haveing a new ap gun built now and expect it to do half inch at 50yds.

now this is out of a ranson rest...

but thanks again for the info man.

Leroy