Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eye & Ear Protection for Future Shooters

johnb

I have a 3 and 4 year old that I've taken to the range only once. Both enjoyed it and I'd like to get them out much more often this summer but I'm struggling to find a good solution for eye an ear protection. Muffs seem to work the best but when we add glasses, even the smaller(kids size) versions, I don't think the muffs actually seal very well. I've tried trimming down the foam plugs and that seems to work OK for a little while but then they start to fall out. Several years ago I saw a liitle guy on the range with a set of muffs that had the glasses attached to the outside of the muffs rather than underneath. Does anyone have a set of these? If so, who made them and do you remember where you found them? I've searched several different times on the web but never found the combination glasses/muffs. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, John

I've been using the SureFire and they're not bad. You could try those, they're like $15/pair. Measure their ears too and try to get the right size. I have small and large...turns out I think I'm a medium! Rats. :roflol:

Edited by polizei1

• 2 weeks later...

I have my grandson set up with the Howard Leight electronic Impact Sport model. So he can hear me on the range. Kids need to hear STOP commands, etc. I fixed the fit by adding 2 inches of foam under the headband with Velcro so they would fit perfectly around his ears and not put pressure on areas of ear cartilage. As he grows, he can continue to use these same headphones/muffs. While we would run a course of fire, we would put an IPSC metric target behind the firing line against the side of a berm and mount it on a target stand to his height. He would shoot his Nerf gun and would have his own RO. so he has to listen!

Oh, I got kid BMX glasses. They fit fine and some even have a back strap so the glasses don't come off. I spent 125 for the pair but they're worth it. These glasses combined with the hearing prevents flinching when he shoots his one-shot Thompson Center rifle. He can see and hear, basically very comfortable when shooting. He can hit 100 yard bowling-ball shaped metal with that little barrel + iron sights.

Edited by Locomotion

I picked up a couple sets of the small Surefire plugs and also found some small safety glasses with flat ear pieces. Combing those with the muffs seems to work good. Thanks for all the suggestions. :cheers: