Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 misc questions

Just received my 1050 ordered via BE.

Getting back into reloading after several yrs for indoor target shooting/plinking

FYI:

Will be reloading initially for 4 different .45's two SW1911's , a P220, and a Springer Mil-spec

Looking for some advice re: powder meas. & seating

In past I used a SDB press doing .45's & .38WC's , did fine but I recall I always fretted the powder throw settings and seating/crimping stage

Believe it or not, In those days I used AA#2 exclusively and had fine target loads - I always stayed within a tenth or two of all start loads

This time around, all these years later & all I could get from Powder Valley was.... wait for it... AA#2 & AA#5 so I got some of each and the only LPP they had Tula..

Note: I have no fine motor control of my left hand (birth forcep injury) so it'll be pretty much a one-hand tuning/operational thing.

(I'll have son's in law helping with some setup though)

I am considering adding 3-4 accessories to make my life a little easier

#1 a Mr Bulletfeeder

I ordered some 230Gr RN from Donnie at Bayou (great guy)

#2 I think I really want a micrometer like setting device on my powder measure.

I have seen the Uniquetek device and I'm sold but I don't want to try the install myself so I am perfectly willing to just buy the pre-fab Arredondo bar with micrometer ( http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1267 ) just so I don't have to wait to send my stock bar to Uniquetek to have the micrometer fitted.

Here's my worry: I'll be using AA#2 & AA#5 for awhile in start load quantities with .45's . This Arredondo bar is designed, it seems, for super small throws of fine grained vectan sp2.

How will my AA#2 & AA#5 start load "bulk" do in that bar - will it handle the Qty.? I read AA#5 (being also fine grained) used to cause some folks problems with the Dillon bar so if this "new" bar will hold enough, I will feel less silly spending the $$ to get my ease of charge tuning micrometer.

I have not researched a start charge for Lead 230gr RN but AA's site shows 4.6Gr start charge for AA#2 & 7.8Gr of AA#5. Someday, when I can find some I want to try W231

This may be a stupid question but as I said, I can't get a feel for the capacity of that Arredondo bar

#3 A Redding Micrometer equipped seating die

Coming from the SDB, I'll now have separate seat/crimp dies in the 1050. I thought it'd be nice to just be able to thumb dial a depth as I fine tune the seating. As I've inferred, I used to have fits one handed loosening lock rings with wrenches adjusting, tightening stuff as I could not hold the dies as I tightened rings etc. Anything to make one stage of die setup easier is worth the $$ to me. No, I won't be changing bullet types A LOT, or any to begin with but "dial a depth" sure looks easy

What do u think?

Finally the 8$ added baffle for the Powder measure from Uniquetek

(what can it hurt)

Final question:

I am going to have a problem I fear finding any start load data for Bayou's 230 Gr RN lead with the powders I have access to (AA#2 & #5) Heck Accurate doesn't even list a lead bullet on their site.

What resource would you use if you wanted to load this combo within a tenth or two of start loads?

Finally, in the old days Start Loads for FMJ'S always ran my P220 just fine. Now that I am loading for 3 bone stock 1911's, do you think I'll have any cycling issues with those? (No I won't load 2000 before testing but I'd just like ur gut feelings

Thanks guys, it has been a pleasure lurking here & finally buying the press from Brian was a great idea. BTW I ordered the 45 equipped 1050 on Jan 20th & got it Feb 22

thanks,

Doug, in ATL aka swordsmn

I use RCBS powder measurers with mic adjustment and their case activated linkage. Gave away all my Dillon powder measurers, the sliding bar system just doesn't have the versatility or the accuracy that the cylinder type has, and bridging with long stick powders is virtually eliminated.

jj

Money aside, Midway is OUT of the Uniflow and the Competition variant with integral micrometer. To that I'd need to add the $70 linkage kit. So, if they had the hdwe, and I went your route jj I'd be out of the sliding bar type of measure which I admit always scared me for throw consistency. Part of me hates to just chuck the included measure, but you might be spot on...

Ya'll remember, I'm contemplating that arredondo bar/micrometer at $105 just because I remember driving myself nuts with a wrench back n forth trying to dial in charge wt on the SDB... I should probably just suck it up & try it as is. For a goodly while I'll just be using the AA#2 (6 lbs worth) and AA#5 3lbs worth.

Looking for someone to say either "yeah doug, the arredondo micrometer deal will handle your AA2 & 5 charge weights - you're NOT a wimp for wanting the micrometer even with the limited variety ur planning" OR "Doug, even with the AA2 & 5, the dillon measure shouldn't be that big of a PITA to dial in with a standard wrench"

I'm looking for easy but I'm not necessarily dying to spend $$... I already overkilled on press choice :-)

Howdy Swordsmn - I have a 1050 set up with the Redding Competition Bullet seatting die and love it! It's great switching back and forth between different bullets.

I also have the UniqueTek micrometer set up on my powder measure. Great idea, but SUCKS if you are older than 40. That is when you start to need reading glasses. That micrometer is hard as hell to read, even with a magnifiying glass. And considering that the measure is in the back of the press makes it worse.

What is is MUCH better, is the LARGE KNOB wiith LARGE SCALE numbers. You can get these on ebay. There are basically 3 or 4 different kinds. I advise to get the one with the Large numbers.. Also, these are 10x easier to install and cost only $20-$25.

I have put these on my other 1050 and 550..

I would post a pic, but I don't do the Photobucket thing. I use the My Media in the tool bar. I guess my limit is used up and Can not add any more pics or I am too dumb to fiqure out how. Here is a post of the knob on another forum. Just scroll down to the third post.

http://handloadersbe...99/22756-2.html

Hope this helps

Edited by Reinz

Doug... Welcome to the Forums..!

The Arrendondo will do whatever you ask of it. Great product IMO....

I have used the Dillon measure with AA2 (loading .40) and it works just fine.

My thoughts... We do this because we want to and we like doing it. Why beat yourself up over this type of inconsequential stuff....? If there is a product that will make things easier/better or something you just want to do.....Do It.

Don't try to "justify" or worry if you can't "justify".

HI Doug. Doug here....LOL

You don't need any of that stuff. The way it comes it will work just fine, just put a drop of blue loctite on the powder adjustment screw and it will hold measurements when you get it where you want it.

Reduce a FMJ load by about .02 grains and that should get you real close working with lead or coated lead. A 230 LRN or coated will run through all those guns with no issue at a 1.230 OAL. You may have iffy results with 200 LSWWC bullets, from my experience. If you want to make different loads for the different guns then have at it. You will need to use a mica powder to "dust" the bullets before you use the bulletfeeder with straight lead bullets. The coated may go through ok.

Hope this is helpful.

DougC

Thanks Doug,

With regard to the coated bayou bullets, Did you mean decrease the fmj start load by .2 gr or .02 ? Not sure we deal in hundreths of a gr? Fyi., Accurate has no lead data for aa#2. Start load for fmj 230gr is 4.6gr. I need to get my load books delivered and research the net for 45acp bayou bullet start loads with AA2 or AA5. From current research though it looks like 4.6 wouldn't get me in trbl though.

Regarding my accessory fretting, After Merlin's comment and yours I'll likely just give it a go stock for a bit before I go adding such optionals. I do like the idea of such easy micrometer tweaking of powder/seating/crimp but adding $240 ish to all I've spent is a bit excessive esp since I haven't ordered the Mr Bulletfeeder yet, lol

Initially I am going with the Bayou 230gr RN so if I do my job with COL, I should be ok on feeding in the guns. From other research their coated lead feeds a-ok in the Mr Bulletfeeder. We shall see how it does in the spring assy and the dropper.

Thanks for the encouragement as I jump back into this. You folks are a great bunch here. It may be weeks till Donnie gets these bullets to ATL. I have loads o time to get my act together...

Bayou Bullets run just fine through the DAA Mr. Bulletfeeder. Personally, I like the micrometer and have one on each of my powder bars. I would skip the powder baffle and the Redding seating die unless you are changing bullets and OALs frequently.