Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian hi-cap mags: .38 same as 9mm?

kcobean

I am having my Caspian double-stack .38SA rebarreled to 9mm. Will the .38SA mags I have work with 9mm? I see that Caspian lists two different part numbers for 9mm and .38 mags...so wondering if there is any "backwards compatibility".

Thanks.

I'll second what Mr. Caspian Guy said, the old style "19 round" .38 super mags run both .38 super and 9mm just fine. In fact, a lot of them are marked .38super/9mm on the front of the mags.

The new style "21 round" .38 super mags with the quick change base pad will also run both 9mm and .38 super just fine as long as they are tuned (a few threads on this - feed lips, grams spring/follower, deepen funneling indents, etc.). Heck, I've even run .38 super and 9mm mixed in the same mag. So, if you got some good .38 super mags I'd recommend that you use them for 9mm, too. No need to get new mags.

As a side note, but still along the lines of Caspian mag interchangeability - I have been tinkering with an .38 super Tanfoglio/EAA Witness and found that tuned "new style" Caspian 170mm mags function great in that gun with either 9mm or .38 super. "Old Style" 170mm weld-ups (like Mr. Jim Anglin does) or Craig mags based on the old "19 round" tubes are too wide and won't fit in the Tanfo/EAA Witness mag chute. The "new style" Caspian 140mm mag tubes work well, but the Caspian quick change base pad interferes with the magwell on the Witness so you need to either grind down the Caspian base pads to eliminate the interference points or get the Henning H141 base pad which fit perfect and can be used with either the Caspian or the Tanfo/EAA. I'm working on getting a 9mm upper conversion (for limited minor) and a 9mm barrel/comp fitted for that gun and will use .38 super mags in it.

Enjoy your Caspian! :cheers: