Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dropped Gun

scooterj

Rule 8.3.7.3 says "Once the competitor's hands are clearof the holstered handgun, the course is deemed to have ended."

After the gun was holstered the compititor reaches around to lock his holster and his arm was hit by the RO causing the gun to fall from the holster, is this a DQable offence?

Rule 10.5.3 says DQ "during course of fire"

Would you bring it to arbitration?

Please see below (my added emphasis):

10.5.14 Retrieving a dropped firearm.  Dropped firearms must always be retrieved by a Range Officer who will, after checking and/or clearing the firearm, place it directly into the competitor's gun case, gun bag or holster.  Dropping an unloaded firearm or causing it to fall outside of a course of fire is not an infraction, however, a competitor who retrieves a dropped firearm will receive a match disqualification.

Scooter,

I note that you live in Lousiana, in which case there's no point in quoting rules from a rulebook (January 2004 Edition), which is not yet in force in the USA. The rules applicable to your situation, which I quote from the USPSA 14th Edition, are:

8.3.7 “Gun Clear, Hammer Down, Holster” • This command is given after the Range Officer is satisfied that the handgun is unloaded and safe for further action. The competitor shall, holster the handgun in the one of the safe conditions below. Completion of the holster portion of this command signifies the end of the course of fire.

10.3.5 If at any time during the course of fire, or while loading or unloading, a competitor drops his handgun or causes it to fall, loaded or not, except as follows: <snipped, because not applicable to your incident>

After the gun was holstered the compititor reaches around to lock his holster and his arm was hit by the RO causing the gun to fall from the holster, is this a DQable offence?

If the officiating RO agrees with your description of the events, then I agree the DQ was unjustified. Good luck with the Arbitration, and let us know the outcome.

Thanks for the replies. Arb commitee ruled in my favor and I was reinstated in the match. Seems the same thing happened at the Fla Open and one of the eye witnesses was chosen to be on my Arb Com.

To him, it was a cut and dry case.