Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS take down pins

Glock shooter

Thanks for the direction of DPMS... Since I am putting this project on a Seekins upper and lower. I would like to try and find something of higher quality or of stainless with out being a coating.

What sort of qualities do you want to be better? Size, hardness?

I only stainless ones I've seen in person were a dull dark gray color.

You could probably polish them for a little BLING-BLING!

Stainless doesn't always meen it is a better part though.

Usually stainless parts(like small machine bolts) are actually softer than the black oxided steel.

You would have to make sure that it's a 400 series or better--with heat treatment.

Nick

The quality that I meant was the finish. I did a quick google search on the DPMS pins and from the pictures the finish did not look good. This may have been just bad pictures. But I don't know this for sure. I have not held a set of the chrome plated pins in hand to check them out. If the chrome plating is not done well, would this lead to problems? Pins working loose? Should plating come off would this lead to the upper and lower having a loose fit? That is why I asked about SS pins. Thinking if they were machined from SS then uneven plating would not be an issue. Yes, I am going for a finished look to the rifle build. I am not going to give up quality or reliablity for looks.

If I can come across a set of the DPMS ones, I would gladly buy them and check them out.

Thanks for the feed back,

Jason

I just got some EZ-takedown pins made by YHM. Mine are black but work so well when trying to break it down, just pull the button. I'm going to Duracoat the entire AR so I'm going to paint all of the take downs, trigger pins, safety and everything one color. I might leave everything black and paint the AR upper and lower a blueish grey called HK-Blue/Grey.

Anyhow they also have Titanium and other silver colors you can do the same with. Paint the parts rather than go with Chrome. Then everything would match.

Edited by Tedward

• 1 month later...

The quality that I meant was the finish. I did a quick google search on the DPMS pins and from the pictures the finish did not look good. This may have been just bad pictures. But I don't know this for sure. I have not held a set of the chrome plated pins in hand to check them out. If the chrome plating is not done well, would this lead to problems? Pins working loose? Should plating come off would this lead to the upper and lower having a loose fit? That is why I asked about SS pins. Thinking if they were machined from SS then uneven plating would not be an issue. Yes, I am going for a finished look to the rifle build. I am not going to give up quality or reliablity for looks.

If I can come across a set of the DPMS ones, I would gladly buy them and check them out.

Thanks for the feed back,

Jason

If the chrome plating does come off which I doubt it will it shouldn't make the pins lose since most platings are only 0.0005" or so. Chrome is a pretty hard and tough metal.

Edited by atvman400

I running the YHM pins on a Seekins set as well. You can't really do much better. The Seekins lower has in stalled a nylon tipped tensioning screw for upper play. You end up with a real nice fit up with the Seekins gear.

• 4 weeks later...