Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newb question

Just finished my second match and have a question from this past weekend.

If I am shooting at a target partially hidden by barrels and my bullet touches the barrel before it hits the target in the A zone, is the hit considered good and an A or is it considered a mike? I've read rules 9.1.6.1 and 9.1.6.3 and still am not sure. I was told it was a mike and was scored that way. What say ye? Thanks.

If the barrel is considered hard cover AND the bullet passed wholly through the barrel then it is a miss.

IF the barrel is hard cover and the bullet did not pass wholly through it then it counts for score.

If the barrel is soft cover then it counts for score whether the bullet passed wholly through it or not.

If the barrel is considered hard cover AND the bullet passed wholly through the barrel then it is a miss.

IF the barrel is hard cover and the bullet did not pass wholly through it then it counts for score.

If the barrel is soft cover then it counts for score whether the bullet passed wholly through it or not.

I think the barrels were hard cover and the bullet didn't go through. The only way we knew it hit was we heard a hollow echo on my second shot. I saw a few guys penetrate the barrels and the bullets made a crazy whirling sound as they continued to spin round and round inside the drum until stopping. Thanks for the replies.

I think the barrels were hard cover and the bullet didn't go through. The only way we knew it hit was we heard a hollow echo on my second shot. I saw a few guys penetrate the barrels and the bullets made a crazy whirling sound as they continued to spin round and round inside the drum until stopping. Thanks for the replies.

If they cannot definitively show that the shot passed through the barrel rather than striking the side you should have gotten the second hit. If both shots had a grease ring then they did not pass through the barrel on the way to the target. The sight of a grease ring or the absence of that ring is one of the tests for shots that might have passed through another object before striking the target.

Funny that you mention the grease ring. I remember now someone saying that the grease ring was just a little oval, so that's how they knew it struck the barrel, therefore miss. Oh, well. Lesson learned. I think I'm going to suit down and read the rule book in it's entirety. I won't remember most of it, but i bet it'll answer quite a few questions. Thanks again guys.

9.1.6.3 If a bullet strikes partially within hard cover, and continues on to

strike the scoring area of a paper target, the hit on that paper target will count for score or penalty, as the case may be.

9.5.5 Enlarged holes in paper targets which exceed the competitor’s bullet

diameter will not count for score or penalty unless there is visible evidence within the remnants of the hole (e.g. a grease mark or a “crown”

etc.), to eliminate a presumption that the hole was caused by a ricochet

or splatter

You should have gotten the second hit if it had a grease ring even if it was slightly oval. My guess is that it struck the barrel and glanced off so that it was now traveling at an angle. That is why barrels make great barrier type props but are not well suited for use as hard cover. Bullets can come off at angles, or as you noted the bullet started to wiz around inside the barrel until it stopped. What would have happened if the bullet found a hole that had been punched through on the opposite side of the barrel? It is now flying back up range.