Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Resolving Zen Mind vs Chess Mind

Matt in TN

I only recently realized this while teaching my daughter to play chess, and why and how to think several moves ahead. I've been doing this my whole life (thinking several moves ahead), and for the most part it's served me very well. However, it seems to be the antithesis of zen. Every time I find myself failing at "no-mind" it's because I'm thinking moves ahead.

I trained in Japanese martial arts seriously for 15 years. I'm no zen master, but I understand the concepts, meditations, and focus (or "no focus" - ha!) of zen. What I can't figure out is how to resolve these two seemingly opposite parts of my being.

Someone like Brian Enos doesn't get where he is without thinking a few moves ahead sometimes - yet it seems a lot of his success is from being able to go zen while shooting. I really think both are necessary for a balanced life - or are they? Can you play chess in "no mind"?

Ahhh - but what about paying attention and error games? If you are mindful in your day to day life, then when do you plan?

When it's time for planning.

Decide to plan.

More importantly - how on earth do you switch back and forth at will?

That will begin to take card of itself, the more time you spend in total attention.

The attentive mind is a noticing mind. The attentive mind notices. Notices what? With regard to thoughts or planning, when a thought arises. The more you notice thoughts - at the instant they arise - the more you will develop the ability to decide whether or not to continue on with each specific thought topic.

At all times, as often as possible - turn your attention back upon your own mind. With a good question like - I wonder what the next thought will be? Then just listen! With repeated practice, you will begin to realize that most all of the thousands of thoughts that float in and out of our minds are not only completely useless - in the sense that the thoughts are about things that we will not or cannot do anything about - but worse, they are damaging, because all of our presonal desires and suffering have their roots in them.

The more we see that as our actual personal reality, the more quickly we learn to just return to awareness, upon noticing a silly thought.

be