Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Howdy from Northern IN ... ditch the siglites?

gccjason

After shooting my Dad's guns occasionally for 30+ years I finally got MY 1st handgun last week :-)

CPO P226 w/ siglite sights. Best I can figure it's at most 2 years old.

Pic: 1st time w/ my new Sig P226 9mm. My Dad would be proud of this grouping :-) - jpowell's posterous

I've been reading through the forum posts and decided to finally create an account and say howdy. Hope to check out some competition events in the Michiana area.

Looking like a new front sight will be my 1st "mod"? I'd never shot night sights and thought they would be fun, but so far I'm not impressed with them at the range, especially the front. Is that just me needing to get used to them or is that a general concensus?

I see lots of mentions of dawson fiber optic front and warren rear. If I can get to an event I'm hoping I can ask/see what others are using.

This is an amazing forum ... I've gained a TON just from the Beginners section alone!

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Jack - I wasn't able to focus on the front sight like I wanted to. I'd never shot with night sights before so like you said I prob just need to give it a little more time. The gun shoots really low too ... I'm not used to "combat" sighting. I was shooting the local range's reloads and didn't ask the bullet weight so maybe it was a pretty light FMJ and thus added to the low impact point. So much to learn and experiment with :-)

I've contacted the nearest club that does IDPA and USPSA (http://borcc.org/) to inquire about spectating and they said no problem and bring my sig and ammo cause I'll probably want to join them :-)

I think you hit the nail on the head about "combat sighting." When I first shot Sig night sights, everything was low and I was ready to send it back for adjustment. I still think it's counter-intuituve to obscure my target with the front sight but even for a slow learner like me, it became second nature after a few (dozen) trips to the range.